Menu
Unresponsivevir
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Virgin don't care their service doesn't work

Why don't virgin solve service issues they say there is no problem yet they have a service box built for 100 customers yet they have 200 going through it they still take my money for 6 months my advice they will never ever it move to another provider as soon as possible

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin don't care their service doesn't work

That’s how Virgin works, they haven’t changed this in the years they’ve operated and won’t be doing so anytime soon.

I suggest you look at alternative options if your not happy with the operational model.

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
RedGooner
Super solver
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I think they do care.

Ok they over sell some area's, and in time them area will get better.

But if you want to leave, thats your choice. Dont let the VM door hit you on the way out.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@RedGooner wrote:

I think they do care.

Oh come on, lets be honest, its business, nobody cares in business its about transactions.

Why anybody thinks a business would care is beyond me.

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Recent engineer visit explained with many people working from home customers are upgrading their speed. Also people on Openreach network that are capped on 35mbs moving over to higher speed Virgin network. The demand was unexpected and cant be fixed overnight.

The positive side is Virgin are offering huge discounts via retention to retain the customers. If you play the game well existing customers can get better deal than new customers. I am on M100 and worst case it halves to 50mbs but that's fine and still better than Openreach 35mbs.

But if you paying for M350 or M500 and getting half..well yes you losing a lot.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@sayekm wrote:

Recent engineer visit explained with many people working from home customers are upgrading their speed. Also people on Openreach network that are capped on 35mbs moving over to higher speed Virgin network. The demand was unexpected and cant be fixed overnight.

The positive side is Virgin are offering huge discounts via retention to retain the customers. If you play the game well existing customers can get better deal than new customers. I am on M100 and worst case it halves to 50mbs but that's fine and still better than Openreach 35mbs.

But if you paying for M350 or M500 and getting half..well yes you loosing a lot.

Interesting couple of lies you've been told there....

I have 4 Openreach lines across 4 addresses, they all operate at much higher than 35mbps, one even operate at 940mbps!

I also have 3 Virgin Media connections, I'm moving one to Openreach this week.... don't worry I've also had the speech from a Virgin engineer in the past, however as you can see above I soon **bleep** that conversation down.

0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Not everyone is blessed to have Openreach 940mbs. Most don't even get 80/20. My area the Openreach delivers about 38mbs but lucky to have option of both. My parents house they don't have Virgin network so stuck with 35mbs Openreach.
I have several mates in Luton area and their Openreach delivers about 10mbs.

If I was able to receive Openreach 80/20 I would have stayed with Talktalk as they offered that for less than £20 before moved to Virgin.

You a lucky man that Openreach have invested in your area.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

hi @sayekm only 2 of my 8 addresses I manage gets full fibre from Openreach and I only have 1 setup with it, I have Virgin in the other one.

My main connection (my own house) is currently 350mbps with Virgin, but I'm switching it to 60meg sky, there is more to internet than speed, I'm in an area where Gig1 is available from Virgin too but I've tested that at 2 addresses now and its pants.

My point of the comment is broadband sales and advertising has one thing in common and its 'lack of knowledge' is power, every time I've had a doorstep salesman, someone at the mall or even leaflets there is always been an opening line that's misleading or an outright lie and probably only 1 in every 10,000 people that understand differences.

Another point I'd like to make is 'the engineer' using this is an excuse is wrong, In years past on this very forum I've talked about the need for more upload bandwidth and not just because I wanted faster upload speeds, but because I saw these days of video conferences, YouTube uploaders and streamers coming and well before this 'time of restrictions' I saw the upstream of networks getting busier and more unstable.

But as I said its all business, unregulated so hey ho.

Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@JitteryPinger In years past on this very forum I've talked about the need for more upload bandwidth and not just because I wanted faster upload speeds, but because I saw these days of video conferences, YouTube uploaders and streamers coming and well before this 'time of restrictions' I saw the upstream of networks getting busier and more unstable.

Spot on.  The growth in data volumes per user is not something new, it's been going on for decades, and VM will be well aware of this.  Unfortunately because of its historic origins in cable TV, the DOCSIS technology has always had a circa 1:10 upload/download ratio hard coded in the standards, VM can spread that 1:10 out differently per-user, but overall it's largely fixed.  VM and other cable companies are hostage to the fortunes of DOCSIS standards because the whole system relies on technology from a range of different companies, and it won't be economic to develop products that are non-standard.    There is a capability that may one day arrive, of "full duplex DOCSIS", and that will offer near symmetrical up/down speed potential, but the standards were defined too late for VM to build into the roll out of DOCSIS 3.1 that's now going on, and my personal view is that VM won't offer this until they roll out DOCSIS 4.0.  I'm sure that's already in secret testing by VM, but as a network level roll out it is unlikely to arrive before 2026-27, and almost certainly will require VM to launch a new hub, and that in turn won't happen until Arris build one for commercial launch.  Cisco (who make some of the switching kit used for cable networks) suspended investment in full duplex DOCSIS in 2019 because they couldn't see an investment case due to a lack of commitment by cable network operators to a future roll out.

The only other option cable networks have got (and it would work, but seems VERY unlikely because VM usually go the opposite way) would be to reduce the contention rates for cable customers, so that the available upstream bandwidth is shared by fewer connections.  So in my view, when Covid subsides things will improve for VM's network, but beyond a return to the traditional standard of performance of VM connections there's some pretty hard limits to the upstream potential any time soon.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Fantastically put, in reality though Virgin is surely going to start looking at GPON of sorts as it continues rolling into new developments and areas with RFoG.

DOCSIS 4.0 will probably be the last in the standard, by the point this comes about though I'm sure competition will be taking a toll on Virgin's numbers, not too mention the potential for Openreach to do quick expansions of FTTP products also.

""I was brainstorming earlier this week that potentially its a lot easier for openreach to upgrade FTTC areas to FTTP, specially where overhead lines are involved, I'm in an area with ECI DSLAM's and last 'rumour' I heard about them over at ISPr was that Openreach could possibly be replacing them with Huawei (obviously not going to happen because it would be a waste and huawei is discouraged) ""

So my guess would be once fibre first programs in my area start coming to a close that infill work will start, the neighboring exchange area is Fibre First however all thats been done upto now is all overhead lines (most exchange area) and underground for new developments, there is still a big chunk of the area which in underground lines needing the upgrades but nothing 'yet' but potentially could see this area's work overflowing into mine and seeing fibre up on the poles quite quickly .

0 Kudos