Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Virgin agreed to send me a new router hub to replace a faulty one. Will this tie me into a new contract?

I would like to retain the freedom to go to another broadband provider if the new router does not solve our connectivity problems. So I need to know whether this will tie me into a new contract whereas for the moment I only have to give 30 days notice. The person on the phone did not volunteer any of this info, and I did not think of asking as I assumed that they would tell me, but i see in another comment that someone was billed slightly higher for a new hub, which begs the question whether they were tied in with a contract for another 12 to 18 to 24 months? 

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin agreed to send me a new router hub to replace a faulty one. Will this tie me into a new contra

why were you sent the new hub - that might have a bearing on the answer - if the old one was deemed to be faulty it should not have started a new contract and changing the hub should not have changed the price of your or any one elses package assuming there was no speed increase added 

that said agents can and do do odd things without being transparent - so check your account and see if anything has changed

if they have added anything then you have 14 days to revert back to your old contract

so going back to my first question why were you sent a new hub - offshore give them oit like sweets as its their chosen method of solving most problems after asking you do do a reboot - in most cases it will solve nothing

so if it was simply a replacement for the sake of it expect little to no change - help here is always available and would have to be rubbish to be worse than offshore

Tony
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin agreed to send me a new router hub to replace a faulty one. Will this tie me into a new contra

Very helpful answer Tony. It is to replace a faulty hub. We will see whether they have upgraded the hub from 2 to hub 3 , but I did not ask for an upgrade, just for a solution for the problems we are facing. We went through the test and everything, and they realised we had ongoing connectivity problems as the connection was down within one or two minutes within having rebooted etc! So now I will await the hub they are sending me, and I will check my account after activation of the new hub, and we take it from there. Thanks again
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Just getting a new WiFi Hub alone won't tie you into a contract. When you were on the phone they would have said if you were getting a new contract and you would also of got email confirmation of a new contract if you have been signed up for one.

Hope this helps ?
-
If it did you can give "Kudos" or mark my post as a "Helpful Answer" ?
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@annejaf wrote:
Very helpful answer Tony. It is to replace a faulty hub. We will see whether they have upgraded the hub from 2 to hub 3 , but I did not ask for an upgrade, just for a solution for the problems we are facing. We went through the test and everything, and they realised we had ongoing connectivity problems as the connection was down within one or two minutes within having rebooted etc! So now I will await the hub they are sending me, and I will check my account after activation of the new hub, and we take it from there. Thanks again

it will be a hub3 - but thats not an upgrade just what they have today - 2 and 2ac's are no longer available 

your description of the fault and their solution does not fill me with any confidence - ok your hub may be faulty - MAYBE - but its likely to be a 101 other things before that - whilst waiting you could post some levels - they may tell their own story

log into superhub - 192.168.0.1 - DON'T SIGN IN, click router status [top right] - and post the downstream and upstream figures

Tony
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@SSA49 wrote:

Just getting a new WiFi Hub alone won't tie you into a contract. When you were on the phone they would have said if you were getting a new contract and you would also of got email confirmation of a new contract if you have been signed up for one.

i agree thats how it should be but how it actually words can be somewhat different - economy of the truth seems second nature to many of the agents 

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I am the non-residing landlord and am actually abroad, but paying for the broadband and trying to resolve the ongoing problems for my five tenants. Ok, will ask them to do this. Is there anything else I need to do, so that I limit disturbing them too many times?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@annejaf wrote:
I am the non-residing landlord and am actually abroad, but paying for the broadband and trying to resolve the ongoing problems for my five tenants. Ok, will ask them to do this. Is there anything else I need to do, so that I limit disturbing them too many times?

lets see what the results i asked for says - the hub change may be the solution but as i said its the 'easy' fix that in many cases solves nothing

a better description of the problem would also be useful

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

ok, the problem : very slow broadband speed (i took 200 MB broadband package). The internet connection is either slow or going on and off. The router is placed in a private bedroom whilst only the bedroom underneath also have connection, the other three bedrooms and the common kitchen/living have very little or constant on and off connection. I wanted it in the hallway but the tenants only told me much later that it was placed there, and now Virgin is wanting to charge me an extra £99 to come and put the router in the hallway/staircase. A few months ago, someone put a booster for the bedroom that has virtually no connection, but that did not help neither. When testing the hub, the arrow light was flashing blue and the 2.4 and 5.00 mb lights were off at first, only came out later, we saw that there were 4 appliances working on there and a minute later no-one had connection again. Obviously my problem is also that my tenants are not always telling me at the moment that it happens, and that it is sometimes one person and another time the other person who is telling me their individual problem. I come back as soon as I have an answer on the figures.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

ok - blue lights say its a SH2 - dual band from memory says its a 2ac - long time since i looked at the spec - the new hub is the hub3 which you are now being sent - taking all you have said the problem is wifi although it could also be wired connections as well - lets see what the levels say but assuming its a wifi problem then theres a few things the people can do - split the wifi bands if thats not been done - on the hub3 turn off smart wifi and look at the channels the wifi bands are set to against other hubs near by - the wifi on all VM hubs is poor and better wifi routers will degrade the VM hubs wifi

so in order

1 - confirm the problem is mainy poor wifi and its that thats dropping - if there are any wired devisces confirm if they also drop

2 - lets see the levels 

3 - change to hub3 if and when it arrives - see if that improves things bearing in mind levels from point 2 and settings of wifi bands

4 - depends on levels being ok and no improvement by changing to hub3 - pay VM £99 to move hub - that may help but you are likely to improve things in one area and make other areas worse - a better solution - assuming the problem is wifi coverage is to look at other solutions

so

a good 3rd party wifi router in a central position connected by lan cable - a far better spend of £99 - or many other solutions - a mesh system - access points etc etc

Tony