Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Not Installing Broadband

I have had a Virgin engineer around four times to try and install fibre broadband. They kept saying the cable is damaged and someone else will fix it. The last visit they told me I couldn't have Virgin broadband because they didn't want to put in a new cable from the basement of the block to my flat but they would send the cabling crew anyway. Apparently it's too expensive to wire a new cable and they don't want to do it. The cabling crew were due today but never turned up. I am paying for broadband and have signed a contract but Virgin are refusing to install it. It's impossible to get anywhere as the helpline goes to India and they don't know anything. It is Virgin's responsibility to replace their damaged cable. What do I do to get Virgin to fulfil their contract besides sending formal complaints which I have already done with no response.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Not Installing Broadband

you do not have a contract until installed. VM often have "unservicable" area. as they are a private company they do not have to install anywhere and will only do so if its cost effective.

if its not you'll be better looking at another ISP and cancelling the install

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm paying for the service so the contract is in place. Virgin supplies the whole block. All the cables in the basement are Virgin cables. It's in Central London so it's a servicable area and they have told me I can get fibre. They are just refusing to fix their own cable. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

by serviceable i mean. house or room or floor.
They may well just end the contract if they can't install.
You shouldn't be paying until services are activated and installed

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I am paying and legally they can't end a contract without my consent. Given I am already paying they are in breach of contract for not supplying the services stated. So even if they don't want to run the cable they are legally obliged to now the contract has been signed.

It's definitely serviceable as the Virgin cable to the flat used to work. It just needs replacing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I am afraid under the terms and conditioon they can have a look at https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services and section E10 states - "

10. We do not have to connect the equipment at your home, or otherwise keep to this agreement to the extent the following affects our ability to do so, if:

1. your home is outside our service area or in a part of our service area where no cable has been laid, or we are unable to activate the services on your line or at your home for any reason;"

Regards Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you don't have a service at all you'll receive compensation for non-service, so you won't be out of pocket. 

As DJ says above though, VM can cancel the service install if they decide it's non profitable or would exceed the install budget. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I disagree. As it's a Virgin cable that has been installed already (the previous owner had Virgin broadband) it is their duty to maintain the equipment. The problem is due to their faulty equipment.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Spoiler

Which part of the contract says they have a duty? 

The previous customer terminated their contract, so yours is a new one.  If Virgin can't connect you then they have lost a customer and you will have to look elsewhere. 

I can understand your frustration. 

0 Kudos