cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media not available on my street but my entire town has it

harrison_rowe
On our wavelength

I am approaching the 5 year mark since me (and my neighbours) initially registered for the cable my street programme for virgin media services. We have not been given any notice at all which I find frustrating. 

I have checked the virgin media availability (as well as walking around the street checking the virgin media street furniture (cabinets) to further my personal investigation with virgin media services) and we are the only street without these services. This is outrageous as Virgin Media is very fast and reliable with their services and we have been isolated from them. Our street was built in 2001 (before Virgin Media was installed) and there have been other streets that have been built after Virgin Media services have been instlaled, yet they are also connected to the network. 

To further my frustation, openreach are unable to provide us with FTTP and our VDSL connections  are rubbish at ~30mbps being the average on my street (this is because our closest cabinet is not close or efficient for high speed broadband because of the line length).

The only way that we will be able to get high speed broadband any time soon is with the installation of Virgin Media Services, if anyone has contact with the people that install the Virgin Media Services, could they please point them in the direction of considering installing their services in my area, it's not even a difficult job as there is a big Cabinet (not the sub ones that are scattered down the streets) at the bottom of the street so it would not be difficult to tunnel cables to the residents of my street.

HRowe
20 REPLIES 20

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

For new estates to be cabled the builder is now responsible for putting in all the infrastructure (at their own expense). This arrangement goes back a long way, & possibly the reason your road was “excluded”. If you are on a private road or your road is block paved/has no pavement this also increases the cost of build & rules out infill.

In terms of the cabinet, it matters not whether the fibre node is 50 metres away or 500 metres away. The original build plan will only have allowed for a finite number of connections, after which no further connections can be added without full fibre overbuild. This type of infill has all but been abandoned by VM now due to the huge cost of the required alterations.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

"To further my frustation, openreach are unable to provide us with FTTP and our VDSL connections  are rubbish at ~30mbps being the average on my street"

Openreach are building out FTTP rapidly. You can check on their website when they will be reaching your postcode. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

I already checked there website / check it quite frequently and there are no plans whatsoever, even though I had an email 02/01/2022 telling me that services are coming to my area soon. When I emailed openreach about it though they said that there are no plans at all.
HRowe

What info does this site give:

https://api.superfastmaps.co.uk/fibrecities/3.0/

"We don't have any major plans in your area"
HRowe

@harrison_rowe wrote:
"We don't have any major plans in your area"

The link at #5 is the same as the Openreach maps. The former Openreach maps were more useful in giving particular years for planned roll-out. Looks like they have changed it into far more generic descriptions of time scale.

If I look at my own area it shows "We're building now" but the vast majority of the area covered was installed in 2020 and was available from 2021 so that area info may not be that specific/reliable.

What info do you get back for individual ISP's?

What sort of area do you live in (urban, semi-rural, rural)?

What are any of the alt-net providers offering (CityFibre etc.)?

When I switched to BT FTTP at the start of the year, BT had first dibs on the new Openreach FTTP infrastructure for about a year but now all of the individual providers have (varying) levels of access/speed to FTTP.

I have checked al major providers and they all say that I get get a max of 36mbps. I live in a semi-rural twn and there are no other alt-net providers.
HRowe

@harrison_rowe wrote:
I have checked al major providers and they all say that I get get a max of 36mbps. I live in a semi-rural twn and there are no other alt-net providers.

Have you checked for 4G/5G coverage?

https://bidb.uk/

All providers have at least outdoor coverage and some indoor coverage (except vodafone). If I choose to go down the 5g option, how would this be setup so that I can get the best speed possible (as well as latency) but not so that it would become highly expensive. Do you have any providers that you would recommend (thinking in mind that I would need an unlimited sim)?
HRowe