cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media missed our street during their installation in Midway/Swadlincote!

boggybrush
Tuning in

Hi,

Virgin Media have recently installed their network on the housing estate where I live in Midway, Swadlincote. This installation is part of the trial in Swadlincote where Virgin are using Openreach's telegraph poles to ease installation (details here: https://www.virginmedia.com/corporate/media-centre/press-releases/virgin-medias-expansion-trial-pave...)

I live in Copse Rise, Midway - post code DE11 7NG. According to the Virgin Media website I can't get services - if I check all surrounding and nearby streets they appear to be able to receive service now. I've noticed that the two telegraph poles in our street have not had additional hardware installed on them (like every other pole on the estate). Three houses on our street are able to receive Virgin Media - but they are connected to poles on neighbouring streets. As it happens, I know that the postcode of our street is an anomaly - all other post codes on our estate start DE11 0, ours is the only one starting DE11 7. So I'm wondering if this has somehow led to the two poles on our street being overlooked for the upgrade?

I've tried phoning your customer services number - but they weren't able to help. Your Twitter team directed me to this forum. I've also been in touch with your new build team - but they said it's not part of their scheme.

Is someone from Virgin Media able to investigate what's happened with a view to getting our street upgraded?

Thanks,

John

13 REPLIES 13

This still appears to be no closer to being resolved. The rest of our estate appears to have been connected to Virgin since earlier this year. About 3 weeks ago, Openreach installed full fibre in our street, so I'm afraid you've lost me as a prospective customer for at least 2 years. No doubt anyone else in our street looking for full fibre will go down the BT/Sky/etc option now too

Thanks for your reply @boggybrush, Sorry to see this still has not been resolved.

I have popped the agent you have previously spoken to a message for an update, as soon as I hear back I'll let you know what the latest is.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Similar situation here.  estates around have been done, our street and our pavement has been dug up and cable laid BUT its not been fully connected to the box, and the box it probably will be connected to just has unconnected wires inside. Been in this state for a good 3 months now and no sign of a return. I've been told they hope it'll be completed within the next 6 months 😞

most of the pavements dug, box installed

even the houses on the opposite side are connected as there on another box, and can order the service.

But why not finish the job???

They've installed the fibre on our estate using the existing telegraph poles. The odd new street cab and a bit of digging, but the final stretch of cable/fibre comes from the poles. There are two telegraph poles on our street which haven't had Virgin's hardware installed (I believe a CBT). As I've pointed out to Virgin, our street is a bit of an anomaly in that one of the digits of the postcode is inconsistent with the rest of the estate - and in fact usually refers to streets about 2 miles away. I suspect this has been the cause of the error. Three houses on our street can get Virgin - they're all connected to telegraph poles on neighbouring streets. Anyhow, BT install my Full Fibre next week - it's a shame I never had the option to switch from Sky and BT to Virgin though.