I have been promised over and over again that my Pre-install work would be completed before my Virgin media install day (today).
I've had engineers turn up with a job sheet to "repair a broekn cable" when my property has never had Virgin before and excavation works need to be done (something that was clear on day one of purchase).
I've called every other day and been promised over and over again that someone will contact me via phone, email or text and let me know what is happening - and i've not received anything.
Can anyone help - i feel like i've tried everything and all i hear is the same story - "it's another department" which they cant put me through to.
so far my experience matches all the bad reviews about Virgin....what a great start.
If you have read some of the other tales of woe reported by eager new customers on here, you will find you certainly aren't alone and, alas, the usual advise is to decide for yourself how much leeway you are prepared to give them and after that just assume they don't really want your custom and look elsewhere!
Now firstly, it is possible it will still all take place today (actually it probably won't), do you have an internet provider in place at the moment? If so then whatever happens don't cancel it until (if) VM actually install as the current record for delay between first promised installation date and it actually appearing is over one year (and I think, still counting)!
I'm sure that for the most part, installations probably just go ahead on time with no fuss and all works - the problem arises when something even slightly goes pear-shaped, at which point VM's response has all the grace, efficiency and speed of an arthritic sloth pulling a fully-loaded truck up a steep hill, in the snow!
Neither will you get any explanations as to why it is delayed - truth is VM don't know, aren't in a position to know, and frankly aren't overly bothered to find out anyway. The hoary old excuses regarding, 'council permits' or 'permissions' may get trotted out plus the fairly meaningless 'extra work is needed', to which the obvious answer is 'fine, so why aren't you doing it?'
So, you work on the basis that in all likelihood, you will not be getting VM internet today, or possibly for the foreseeable future, what do you have in place now to tied you over? Can you get a temporary 4G or 5G router on a rolling monthly contract? If you want, then you can certainly try chasing it up each day, an experience which I'm sure appeals greatly to anyone with masochistic tendencies.
Like I said, set yourself a time limit, after which just forget about VM and sign up with an alternative supplier, as a tip DON'T actually cancel the VM install, let it go ahead but as soon as it is in and proven to be working, immediately cancel within 14 days at no cost to you, but you will be sure that the connection is there and good should you want to give VM another go in the future.
It could be done in the next few days, but the chances of getting any accurate information is zero. You'll get better communication through a ouija board, and complaints are as effective as prayer. The longest known delay on a new install since the first promised date is now a staggering one year and ten days and still not connected (poster has reported this in this forum, and recently overtook the previous record holder of exactly 365 days).
Advice? Hope for the best, plan for the worst. If the worst is delays of many weeks, possibly running into months, with no communication, then what would be your most sensible course of action now? If there's an existing Openreach connection that you're using, then it is simple - don't cancel the existing arrangements, and let VM plod along. If there's an Openreach connection that is available but not in use, consider ordering an Openreach ISP - if VM install before that is connected or within 14 days, cancel the Openreach ISP under cooling off rights. There's a few 30 day notice Openreach ISP contracts offered, though they're more expensive than a fixed term, and you will have a very limited choice of ISP.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks
Thank you both (i think) for the reality check of what i've got us in for.....this has to be one of the worst experiences ever and i stupidly had Talk Talk in the past and thought i'd learnt that lesson.
I have BT at the moment but some days have 7mbps so Virgin seems to be the preferred option right now....but it's just a crazy waiting game.
Appreciate your feedback and i guess there is comfrot in not feeling alone....let's just hope i dont set a new record!
I currently have 2 new dates that I’ve been advised of.
30th May for the re-pull of the cable and 1st June for the install. Compensation was mentioned but no further news received on that. I had called every other day and even though I flagged the issues I was constantly assured the install would happen and not to worry. So I’m not confident at all about these new dates. Permits of this type takes days not weeks and this was known on day one of my agreeing to buy virgin media so my trust and faith in Virgin media is rock bottom. Shame
the dates are likely to be wet fingers in the air - certainly the pull date as the next time VM communicate with the external contractors or their sub contractors will [maybe] not be a first but Very rare and even if they do the info is likely to be BS
sub contractors seem to be worse than VM if thats possible - you are likely to see a number of white vans park wander up and down the road and disappear quicker than summer snow - one day someone who actually wants to do the job will turn up and get the cable in place - from there you would think it quick and simple to do the rest - well it may be simple but VM dont seem to do quick - i needed a cable pull last year - lets forget the time for that to happen but once in place it took VM 21 days to turn up and connect it to my external box - the internal work was all in place
so follow the advise above - let it happen you should get a fiver a day compensation - not sure from when but make sure you get as much as you can
and council permits - yes they may need one if they have to dig holes in the road or pavement - councils usually take 48 hours to grant one - VM turn that into 6 to 8 weeks - i guess thats to cover them not applying for a number of weeks and then doing nothing for more weeks once they have it
Thanks for coming back to us. I am sorry for any delays with the install and I do want to help look into this. What I will do is send you a PM, get some details, and then I can raise a complaint for you - then send it to the installs team who will be in touch within 5 working days.
I'm a new customer , due to get my installation on 3rd of June , and it is disappointing and somewhat alarming that so many posts here seem to be about negative experiences .
I know that , in general , people who have had bad experiences tend to be more vocal than those for whom things go well ; however I have no way of knowing whether the vast majority of VM installations go without any hitches , and it is always going to be the case that the forum is full of comments from those who have experienced problems , even if they are a vocal minority .
Whatever the outcome , I promise to report back on my installation - and I hope that it is going to be a positive one .