cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media Coaxial Cable Docsis Vs Full Fibre FTTP Broadbands

amrut627
Joining in

Hi,

Yes when it comes to Online Gaming, ping in ms low latency.

Download speeds don't matter nowadays with all the streaming going on, upload speeds do matter if your on social media a lot or a youtuber uploading a lot of content to YouTube for example. So all that matters nowadays is whether your a gamer or a studio content creator.

Full Fibre aka FTTP or FTTH is better than Docsis 3.0 in terms of online gaming? What about Docsis 3.1 or even Docsis version 4.0?

Can any Docsis version run on any coaxial cable or does the newer docsis 3.1 or 4.0 require new cable laid to the home directly?

Full Fibre lays new cable to the home underground or above ground from the telephone pole?

Do Virgin Media offer and use the BT's Openreach Full Fibre Network or do they stick to their own coaxial cable network that they started laying back in the 90s? Coaxial isn't fibre optic passing the red laser light?

Cheers,

16 REPLIES 16

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
  1. Full fibre has low latency 
  2. VM are not going to use DOCSIS 4.0
  3. All areas now have DOCSIS 3.1, no new coax required.
  4. VM network has two flavours of FTTP. a) Project Lightning install, which uses RFoG (Radio Frequency over Glass), where the fibre is converted to a coax connection for the hub and TV box. b)  Currently under trial is full FTTP.
  5. VM do not use OpenReach fibre, but in some new installations do use their ducts and poles.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Martyn
Superfast

have virgin full fttp setup at mine currently, just still waiting on install. 

Connection: Virgin FTTP Gig2 (XGSPON)

mda99das
Up to speed

I have noticed that ping times are slower for those using DOCSIS. Currently I get anywhere from 13ms to 20ms, WiFI will be higher. When you look at speedtests for people that have full FTTP their ping's are about 2ms. I am guessing this is to do with DOCSIS modulation and demodulation over Virgin's fibre backbone, and this takes slightly longer to do?  

Is there any way to sign up to a trial for Virgin FTTP? I have an strange situation where my road has just had Fibre installed by community fibre, and they have a special rate of £25 for 1 Gig or £49 for 3 Gigs! However BT/ SKY et al cant use that, and I would have to wait for openreach to install their version of fibre. Community fibre won't share with open reach. BT will only have fibre on VDSL which gives 65 meg connection!

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

That's a no-brainer. Switch to Community Fibre. What are you waiting for? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

It's about the whole package , the TV and landline. The only other serious contender is Sky who are awful. And no I'm not getting a dogibox.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

dogibox?

If you want TV with VM you'll need one of their TV boxes. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

yup that's why I am staying with them as to me they beat sky hands down, and there isn't really an alternative.

onegk
Joining in

Is the Virgin Media FTTP as unstable as the Docsis cable? Every summer since joining Virgin when it gets hot, the system starts to fall over. It's an ongoing joke in our office of people who are on Virgin having heat connection issues.