Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Virgin-Issued Powered Splitter Failed

Hello - when we had our original install the engineer said the signal was too low so he installed a powered splitter. Looks like a bigger version of the usual splitting VM issue, but has an extra cable which goes to a plug socket. Since yesterday, the green light on the plug and the green light on the body of the splitter unit are no longer light green.

This has meant we have no broadband. The green wifi logo remain constantly green, the status light flashes green and every minute or so, the connection arrows flash then go off.

I can remove the splitter and plug our VM hub directly into the Virgin wall box and the our internet comes back on. I phoned tech support and they said as there was a local fault, they couldn't book an engineer - even though I shared the broadband was fine without the powered splitter. Can anyone share what's the point of the powered splitter if the broadband actually works even without it.

Down side to this self-fix is that we have no TV... held for 45 mins last night and currently been holding for 22 this morning - as the local fault is gone, but we still have no internet once I plug the powered splitter back in.

Any help or adivce welcomed. Thanks, JB.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin-Issued Powered Splitter Failed

Hi johnabenna,

Thanks for posting.

I'm sorry you're having problems with your services, as well as being affected by an area outage.

I've had a look and the area outage is resolved so you should no longer be affected.

Can you confirm if you're still losing broadband when the splitter is connected? 

Let me know and I can help further if needed.

Thanks

Melissa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It sounds very much like the power supply for the splitter has failed, the signal level coming into your house must be too low for reliable connection to both your broadband Hub and the TV at the same time, hence the need for a powered (amplified) splitter. You will probably find that if you disconnect the Hub and connect the TV box directly into the wall socket, there's a good chance if will work - but naturally no internet then!

@Melissa_F easiest fix would be to send them a new power supply or a complete new splitter and power supply just in case, but it would be better long-term, to see if the incoming power can be raised by moving them to a different tap in the street cabinet, which would naturally mean an engineer visit.

John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

A move to another tap is best if possible. If there is some delay in getting a tech to do this buy a 2-way splitter as a temporary measure to get your TV working, may are available on eBay or stores such as Screwfix and Toolstation.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos