cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Connect App can’t see my Hub 5 router but internet is fine

SteveP62
On our wavelength

I’ve just received my new Hub 5 router, which is working very well so far and indeed, there seems to be a marked improvement in the WiFi strength and spread over the Hub 4. 
My only issue to date is that the Virgin Connect App can’t see my Hub 5 router. I’ve tried re-booting and resetting the router numerous times, deleting the app cache and deleting and re-installing the app and all of these in different orders, but to no avail.

It searches but on everyone occasion, can’t find the hub and invites me to re-install my hub (which I have done but as I say, it’s working fine and providing wired and wireless connectivity without issue).

I believe VM have recognised an issue with some of their customers but any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated. 

Thank you.

Steve P 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SteveP62
On our wavelength

Hi Bob,

Many thanks for responding to my issue with the VM Connect app. I tried this by temporarily disabling the 2.4GHz on my Hub 5 router but sadly no joy. 

Steve

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

68 REPLIES 68

BillBudd
Superfast

Hi Steve,

I found that my iPhone could not detect the hub unless it was using the 5.0ghz network.  Try that, it might work.

Kind Regards,

Bill

I do not work for VM. Services: 2 x HD TV (+ Sky Sports, BT sport), x2 Tivo boxes (WiFi) Hub5 1gb, Talk Weekend Phone on IP, o2 Mobile SIM on iPhone, unlimited data, texts & minutes.

SteveP62
On our wavelength

Hi Bob,

Many thanks for responding to my issue with the VM Connect app. I tried this by temporarily disabling the 2.4GHz on my Hub 5 router but sadly no joy. 

Steve

SteveP62
On our wavelength

Bob,

Just another add-on to my original info. When I first powered up my Hub 5 yesterday the VM Connect App worked. I had to power the hub down earlier today to re-position it and since turning back on, no matter what I do, the app is not seeing my new Hub 5 router, albeit both wired and wireless connectivity is great! 

Steve 

SteveP62
On our wavelength

Bob,

Just to let you know, I eventually got my Hub 5 working with the VM connect app. It needed a reset of the Hub 5 (as opposed to a reboot). I simply pushed in the tiny orange reset button (located on the base near the front) using the tip of a biro pen and held it in for just over a minute before releasing (I’d read both 45 seconds and 1 minute in two separate posts elsewhere). There was a single flash of the front panel LED at around 35 seconds in and then just around the 1 minute mark, the led started flashing. I removed the pen, the led went solid and everything tested out ok, including the device find bit in the Broadband section of the app. 

Everything now appears to be working well.

Thanks again Bob,

Steve 

SteveP62
On our wavelength

Bob, further to my last, the app is still not consistent; today it refuses to connect to the hub again. It appears there is an issue with the app. 

Maybe VM can help?

Steve

Hi SteveP62,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

Sorry to hear you're having some trouble connecting your hub to the Connect App. Can you try the below for me-

Enter your admin name and password.
Once signed in, go to Advanced settings > Wireless> Security Select the dropdown next to Security and change it to WPA2-PSK.
Select Apply changes.

Alex_Rm

SteveP62
On our wavelength

Hi Alex,

Really appreciate your input, thank you. I’d thought of that already; It’s already set to WPA2-PSK on my router.

One thing I noticed, the router is using 2.4 GHz by default. 5GHz setting is also WPA2-PSK but is ‘grey’d out’, as is the network name and WiFi password.

I read somewhere that the VM connect app only works well if your router is working on 5GHz only but I don’t want to give it there as of course 2.4GHz is better.

Any other ideas you might have would be appreciated.

Thanks Alex,

Steve

SteveP62
On our wavelength

Alex,

Forgot to mention (although I think I did previously in this chat) that when I reset my router a few days back, the connect app was then able to see my router and all my devices but without me altering anything, then the next day it reverted to type and I was yet again unable to see the hub.

Steve 

Hi SteveP62, thanks for getting back to us.

Sorry to hear that your connect app issue is still ongoing. When you say that you reset your hub, do you mean a pinhole reset?  If not, please could you try?

Regards

Lee_R