Menu
kamy
Joining in
Message 11 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Comm Box Removal

@chenks wrote:

@kamy wrote:
It is on council land, but it could be that a Lorry runs over it some day. It would be in their interest to move it!

i hope that isn't you making an idle "threat" that something might happen to the cabinet "by accident"
that would be mighty foolish to say in a public forum.

No Threat intended. However the risk of damage is very high. No way I will pay 10K to remove the silly box, which should have been placed well away from residential properties in the first place. I was wondering how you would feel, if this box was in front of your house, for you taking side of a telecom firm that doesn't give a damn about you. Maybe you work for them or a shareholder?!! LOL

0 Kudos
dnpark38
Knows their stuff
Message 12 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@kamy wrote:

@chenks wrote:

@kamy wrote:
It is on council land, but it could be that a Lorry runs over it some day. It would be in their interest to move it!

No Threat intended. However the risk of damage is very high. No way I will pay 10K to remove the silly box, which should have been placed well away from residential properties in the first place. I was wondering how you would feel, if this box was in front of your house, for you taking side of a telecom firm that doesn't give a damn about you. Maybe you work for them or a shareholder?!! LOL

Well around here several houses have VM cabinets on the pavements up against their garden wall if they had them moved none of us would have VM services.

"VM 50 Mps Broadband and anytime phone."
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 13 of 21
Flag for a moderator

nobody who has posted works for VM - they are all just answering your question based on other posts and info

as to placing it elsewhere - where exactly - in front of your neighbors - you or someone had a wall - fence or whatever when it was placed - there was nothing unreasonable in placing it where it was i would suggest - they cannot second guess you would take the wall down 

Tony
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 14 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@dannylau wrote:

@jpeg1 wrote:

That's a guess of course. 

But whatever the cost of paying to get it moved, it would still be cheaper than paying to sort out the damage after an "accident".

insurance pays, they just keep rebuilding it and would probably stick 3 bollards around it

Whose insurance? I doubt that VM have insurance policies to cover damage to their roadside boxes, it wouldn't be economic.

But even if there was insurance, the insurer would certainly seek to recover their loss from the person/s who caused the damage. Plus legal costs of course.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 15 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi kamy, 

Welcome to our community forums! 

I am sorry to see this and can understand your frustration with the positioning of this particular cabinet. 

We will have worked carefully alongside the council to gain the correct planning permissions to make our network available in your area. I appreciate there have been modifications to your property since, but at the time this position would have been approved. Due to this we would not be looking to remove the cabinet.

We understand accidents can happen and if something was to happen we would carry out an extensive investigation, if it was an accident this would be covered by our insurance if the cause was not accident this would be a different matter. It would also impact our customers in the area resulting in a loss of service which could take some time for us to fix.

Many thanks, 

Hetty_R
Superuser
Superuser
Message 16 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@kamy wrote:
Yes, planning permission was obtained.

Personally, I’m very surprised that planning permission didn’t require the box to be protected in some way (or moved at the expense of the person seeking the permission).

Is the date on the photo valid? June 2015 is some time ago now.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 17 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@Ernie_C wrote:

@kamy wrote:

Personally, I’m very surprised that planning permission didn’t require the box to be protected in some way (or moved at the expense of the person seeking the permission).

Is the date on the photo valid? June 2015 is some time ago now.

That is old build & looks like it may be a surface line extender rather than a full blown cab. Some builds had these put underground, though I don't know if its possible to retrofit as the chamber underneath would have to be twice the size.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports/Cinema (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, 350M BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
dnpark38
Knows their stuff
Message 18 of 21
Flag for a moderator

To me from the photo now I can see it it the premises look like a business and this is probably its car park for customers to use and as such the cabinet looks vunerable to being run into.

Looks as if the OP and VM need to have a sensible chat together to arrange a mutual solution.

"VM 50 Mps Broadband and anytime phone."
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 19 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@Ernie_C wrote:

@kamy wrote:

Planning has no authority to force VM to move its equipment.

The sensible thing would have been to fork out £240 to find out if VM would agree to move the box before building the driveway.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 20 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Ah yes it's a dentist. I wonder if any of the patients has already hit it? 

0 Kudos