cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Cable Severed

AlexOfNorwich
Joining in

Hello All,

I am having some building works done and my builder was building a trench for a new waste pipe. He has manage to sever the Virgin cable in my front garden and we have lost our internet. What is frustrating is part of the cable is not protected in conduit. The rest of it (either ends) is apart from a small section was, which is what he hit. The cable wasn't really put far into the ground either.

VirginMediaCable.png

If this normal or just evidence of a botch job from the people who installed it? I would expect all of it to be protected and this was what was assumed as we observed it in a conduit when doing the assessment. 

I have manged to get a engineer booked in for a week but unsure how to proceed with this and who is really at fault. 

Any advice is much appreicated. 

Thanks,

Alex

7 REPLIES 7

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey AlexOfNorwich,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of this happening to you, I have been checking with colleagues and the cable should have been in the conduit till it reaches the point at where it would come above ground at your omni-box. If you want to raise a complaint about this, you can do that online here or I can raise the complaint for you. This is totally up to you on how to proceed.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Steven_L wrote:

Hey AlexOfNorwich,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of this happening to you, I have been checking with colleagues and the cable should have been in the conduit till it reaches the point at where it would come above ground at your omni-box. If you want to raise a complaint about this, you can do that online here or I can raise the complaint for you. This is totally up to you on how to proceed.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

really - what should happen and what does happen is very different - add to that different providers before VM were in charge did what they wanted - what the OP has is perfectly normal - add to that the conduit is no more than  corrugated plastic pipe and add little to no protection from a spade or jack hammer - i am surprised Stevem_L needed to check with colleagues but hey ho thats as it is with tech support and they are all wrong

as to raising a complaint that will have the effect of sod all - it will be lost or fobbed off 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I have two runs of cable, one installed by NTL a long time ago, and another more recent repull, by VM.  Neither of these cables are in conduit, and the most recent is about 50mm under the grass.  The only cable that is fairly deep and in a plastic covered steel conduit is the Openreach fibre one, and the conduit is visible up the wall for about 150mm.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the info.

I am wondering if you know if it a big job to fix or not. My front garden to the pavement is not very long!

VM can/does join coaxial cable with connectors and a plastic gel box.

The ability to do that though depends on how much slack is left in the cable.

You would also need to consider what future effect your building project (once built) will have on the cable and any joint and future maintenance, access etc.

@goslow wrote:

VM can/does join coaxial cable with connectors and a plastic gel box.

The ability to do that though depends on how much slack is left in the cable.

Shouldn't be a problem, it's only a standard coaxial cable (similar to satellite cable - despite the claims VM make about it), if there's not enough slack, then two gel boxes, two lot's of connectors, and a short length of extra cable.

Or dig every thing up, and install it in decent conduit at a decent depth 😄

But poor install or not, it was a typical builder, not caring about what he might got through - and certainly the thin green pipe wouldn't protect anything.

Certainly possible to add two or more junction boxes and connectors to increase the cable length. Personally I wouldn't want one repair junction box in my supply cable, if I could avoid it, let alone two or more.

In this case the photo seems to show the cable going right through the middle of the building work so the OP should probably be thinking about whether another cable route is better in conjunction with whatever solution VM comes up with to fix the damage.