Menu
jonc_uk
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

VM on other side of road - can I get cable installed?

Hi All,

There is a VM cabinet directly opposite my house but no cable install on my side of the road.

I spoke to VM business a year or so ago who said this was simply a 'civils job' to cable my house. They then said (following a 'survey') that it couldn't be done.

I have also registered an interest on a couple of occasions for the consumer connection and never get a call back. I assume this is because my address is now listed somewhere as 'not worth the bother of a call back'.

I know there is a satnav problem with my road which places my house much further down the road as the numbers on each side don't line up - I am no. 25 but opposite 18 - satnav takes you to 31 when you put in 25. The houses are quite far apart and I think this may have confused a desktop survey.

Is there a way I can inform VM of my exact location, and so show I am close to a cabinet? I would be very happy to have VM business internet, and happy to pay for a dig.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: VM on other side of road - can I get cable installed?

Happy to look , I will send you a private message for your address and see for you.

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
jonc_uk
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to VM-Jon for looking into this.

It appears the road was supposed to have a cable crossing but this was never put in place (years ago). For a domestic install, the budgeted amounts would not cover the civil works for crossing my road, but there is a chance that a business connection may allow it.

We will see..

0 Kudos
jonc_uk
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

OK. Follow up post on this.

I had a twenty minute call with VM Business connections where I was told civils costs were just over £2k, this would mostly be covered for a business install but not a consumer one. I may need to make a contribution but not necessarily.

After 20 minutes we were at the point where my VOOM 500 order was almost complete.. just pending a credit check so please hold..

Then the sales executive realised that the address didn't look right.. she would call me back in 10 minutes..

No call, then 30 minutes later by email:

There seems to be a mix up, I was sent 2 enquiry’s, both with the same name and pretty identical numbers, so when I received a missed call from you, it was showing as the other property.

So, at the moment your property is flagging as a CAT4 which means non serviceable, it doesn’t actually look like it’s anything to do with works but the cabinet hasn’t been switched on yet. The serviceability team have contacted me to say, please try again in a month and we may be able to get you up and running with the VOOM 500.

So sorry for the mix up Jonathan.

So - cabinet not switched on yet!?!

I am back to the starting point - too much effort / too many obstacles for anyone to be bothered.😠

I am not sure what will change in month if the cabinet has not been 'switched on' in the past 10 or 20 years.

0 Kudos
VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I will give you a quick call on this and let you know the situation.
Thank you
Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
jonc_uk
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks VM-Jon for the follow up call. Looks like my road has never had VM running although the cabinets are there.

We will see in a few months if anything changes. In the meantime I am looking into FTTP On Demand. I think I just need to sit down when the install cost comes.

0 Kudos