cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM in my flat?

ChristianNotty
Joining in

I have recently moved into a new flat and when ordering virgin media it states I can do a quickstart install but there seems to be no virgin media wall socket so I've opted for the engineer to come out and install.

However, since theres no virgin media socket is it possible if someone who works at virgin media and runs the forums can message me and help to see if anyone who's lived here prior has had virgin media installed as the website states that I could have a quickstart package?

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@ChristianNotty wrote:

I have recently moved into a new flat and when ordering virgin media it states I can do a quickstart install but there seems to be no virgin media wall socket so I've opted for the engineer to come out and install.

However, since theres no virgin media socket is it possible if someone who works at virgin media and runs the forums can message me and help to see if anyone who's lived here prior has had virgin media installed as the website states that I could have a quickstart package?

If you were offered a 'Quick Start' package then VM's records show that the service was available at the address in the past. However, VM will have no way of knowing what has happened to the connections within the address since the service was last used.

Have you checked to make sure there is no other kind of connection? Sometimes there is no wall box, just a trailing cable. The cable could be hidden within, or behind, furniture. Occasionally only a very short stub of wire is left behind often hidden within a blanked-off fitting. The wall box may be branded with the logos of an old cable TV company (not VM). Past occupiers of your property may have removed the cable and sometimes they are removed by other installers, such as satellite TV techs.

If you have a plastic omnibox outside on the wall (where the VM cable comes in from the street) see if you can trace any wires from that into your home.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You would not have been offered quick start unless a previous occupant had the service.

Some flats have a communal distribution system, whereby a multi purpose outlet plate is used. This runs to a central distribution board where the outlet plates in each flat can be serviced with either VM or Sky satellite services. If you have one of these (example below) try the Sat1 socket.

Standard communal antenna outletStandard communal antenna outlet
In any case, a VM technician will be able to sort it for you.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for replying

From what I can tell there doesn't seem to be any cables that have been left. There's a few normal wall sockets with "CableTel" on them that I haven't heard off and a normal coax cable for what I presume is satellite TV

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @ChristianNotty thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media forums!

We appreciate your query on this 🙂
Unfortunately we cannot see where the socket would have been or mention who had it last for security.
However, it would indicate to us that the property has had it connected before is Quickstart is an option.
When the engineer arrives, they will be able to place the socket and services where you'd like it.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

CableTel was a Virgin predecessor. If these outlets are only phone sockets then you will need a tech visit to either install a coax outlet or change the hookup with the communal system.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I have looked around the flat and I have found what looks to be a single RG6 cable that routes from the living room, through the main hallway and out to the communal area so I'm going to assume that cable is what provides the virgin services.

Ill just wait and see as Friday the engineers coming to do the install.