cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM engineer visited and now don't have terrestrial tv

ck277
Tuning in

Hi, I signed up to be a VM broadband customer a few months ago. I had a set install date for an engineer to put a VM faceplate in. They came and did this, but since doing so, I now am unable to get any terrestrial TV signal, I assume because it's done something with the satellite antenna. 

I decided not to become a VM customer, so they now won't send someone out to correct whatever the last technician did. I have been on the phone with customer services multiple times, got text confirmations about someone coming out to fix it, but no one ever shows up. This has happened twice now and I am running out of patience (and options). Can anyone help me get terrestrial TV back!? Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@ck277 wrote:

Hi, I signed up to be a VM broadband customer a few months ago. I had a set install date for an engineer to put a VM faceplate in. They came and did this, but since doing so, I now am unable to get any terrestrial TV signal, I assume because it's done something with the satellite antenna. <snip> Can anyone help me get terrestrial TV back!? Thanks!

Gets regular mentions on here that one set of cables gets pulled out in order to install a new set of cables. Avoids lazy tech's having to drill a new hole in the wall. Usually Sky gets the blame for pulling out previous VM cables so new VM customers can no longer connect.

If a VM tech has damaged your property then VM should repair it. Actually getting VM to do that though may be a hard slog.

Can you see where the original TV cable has been damaged/removed from and post a photo (often a cut piece of cable is just left hanging outside!)? Might help you move this on with VM, otherwise it's just your word against theirs.

Hi, thanks for responding! 

I've been struggling to get them to come out to fix it because I'm not a customer (decided not to join up expressly because customer service was awful/unreliable), so not sure what else I can do. I just get passed around an infinite number of teams whenever I ring up, then someone books me an appointment that no one turns up to. I live in a high rise/new build and actually have no idea where they go to fiddle with wires outside of the property. I will ask reception downstairs and see if I can get a photo! 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@ck277 wrote:

Hi, thanks for responding! 

I've been struggling to get them to come out to fix it because I'm not a customer (decided not to join up expressly because customer service was awful/unreliable), so not sure what else I can do. I just get passed around an infinite number of teams whenever I ring up, then someone books me an appointment that no one turns up to. I live in a high rise/new build and actually have no idea where they go to fiddle with wires outside of the property. I will ask reception downstairs and see if I can get a photo! 

Somewhat different scenario if you are in a high rise new build as I imagine your VM services and your TV services would most likely be provided over separate cables from a central distribution point somewhere in your building. I can't think of a reason that a VM tech would need to do anything to the TV feed to fit a VM connection from a central distribution point.

I assume he didn't have to install a VM cable into your property. Presumably he connected a VM faceplate/socket to a cable that was already there from when the building was constructed.

Have you looked at what has been done to the cables and wall connections inside your own property?

Usually, in a new build, you might have some kind of audio visual general faceplate or sockets with provision for TV, satellite, broadband, phone etc.

It might be that the tech has disconnected the TV connection there within your home in order to make room for a VM socket.

Have a look at the sockets which provided your TV aerial connection in your home and see if they have been changed/disconnected in anyway.

You could post up some pic's of the connections in your home and forum members may be able to give you further pointers.

One of the forum team will also reply here shortly and they may offer to do something to assist.

Hi @ck277,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I am sorry to hear you're unable to get any TV signal following a tech visit. 

As you live in a high rise building, could you confirm if the technician connected the faceplate/socket to an already existing cable?

it would be useful if you could share some photo's which may be helpful if we need to refer this to the Area Field Manager. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are on a communal system, VM techs will change the wiring in the equipment cupboard so that you are connected to VM instead of the SMATV circuit that provides Sky/Freeview.

However, if you then leave the service (or in this case do not join), it is not VMs responsibility to reinstate the previous connection. This is the job of the building management team, as the SMATV system is part of their infrastructure.

While VM techs are insured to work on their own infrastructure, they are not covered to work on anyone else’s.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi, thanks, I am not sure what he connected, but he installed the faceplate pictured... He did go out of the flat to do something, but I didn't go with him so am not sure what he did there. The white  wire you see pictured is what used to provide my terrestrial connection and now does not work.

IMG_9647 copy.png

Hi ck277,

Thank you for reaching out to us, we are sorry to hear that now you are not taking our services you cannot watch terrestrial TV, as advised by nodrogd we would advise reaching out to either your landlord or the building management.

Regards

Paul.