cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM Router 3 Red Light

Shad4w
Joining in

Hi,

having a problem with the Superhub 3 that a lot of people have reported, solid red light; it is well ventilated and I have tried rebooting many times - taken out and put back all cables (solid red light returns).

Not overly hot to touch but does slow down on wi-fi from time to time.

This has now gone on for many months without change.

The researched solution seems to be for an engineer to come out, diagnose & replace the hub. Not sure if it’s easier to just send out a new hub as they are easy to set up.

Can a team member please message myself to arrange an engineer or organise a new hub 3 for despatch.

many Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Shad4w 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here. 

I am so sorry that you have faced this issue with your Hub and I would be more than happy to arrange for an engineer to come take a look, as I do feel this would be the next best step.

I will pop you a PM across now so we can arrange this, please keep an eye out for the envelope at the top of your screen alerting you to a new message.

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello again @Shad4w 

Thanks so much for your private message and confirming your address, I have now booked you a visit for your Hub issues – you can check the date and time via your online account here. If you have any issues with accessing your online account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to confirm.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the My VM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment

I wonder if you could help. My hub 3 has exactly the same problem. It is showing a red light and it doesnt clear when rebooting or hard reset. The light has been present for three-ish months and the wifi can be patchy for work when it had been very stable. It is no-where near any central heating and is open on all sides. 

Any ideas gratefully received. 

OK well firstly it is almost certainly the case that the red light has absolutely nothing to do with any WiFi issues. It's normal to (mis) associate one issue with another. Tell me, did you have any issues, any issues at all, BEFORE, you noticed the red light?

It's a bit like the often cited scammer issue of someone calling you up randomly and claiming that they are from <insert provider here> and claiming that they have detected some connectivity problem and have you also seen this? Now tell me, who hasn't ever, ever, experienced some sort of issue, so you see how their spiel is somewhat believable?

Anyhow, the red light is a symptom of the hub's processor overheating, now it probably isn't and it is more likely that the 1p component that VM used in their hubs is failing and showing red when there isn't actually an issue. Whatever the reason, it does need to be replaced on the grounds that if it were to overheat dangerously in the future, to the point that you house burns down, how would you know?

There does seem to be an uptick in reported cases of this - this isn't actually too surprising, you can imagine a situation where a bunch of Hub 3s were manufactured with some components of dubious quality or providence and so will likely start to fail at the same time. Of course whoever signed off on these components will, no doubt have long since left VM probably with a massive payout for 'saving the company money' - cynic? Me? Absolutely not!

Couldn't agree more the quality of the equipment is shockingly poor

Hello Andy103.

Thankyou for letting us know about the red light on the Hub.

We were going to suggest making sure it was free from any direct source of heat and in a well ventilated place, But you beat us to it.

Can I send you a private message to pass security and arrange for the Hub to be swapped.

If you can check the envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L