Menu
djbthfc
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

VM Phone Lines with ADT Alarm Systems

My parents have just moved from a BT phone line to a Virgin Media phone line.

The phone line transfer was delayed 5 days, now the line is working, my Dad's been told his house alarm will not work with the VM phone line. Assuming the alarm needs the old copper wire route rather than the VM VOIP option?

Anyway, the real question is has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, does anyone have any solutions other than migrating back to BT or paying the alarm company £1000 to upgrade the alarm system?

Many thanks in advance!

D

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM Phone Lines with ADT Alarm Systems

if your in area of project lightning doubtful would be able to get the fixed telephone connection, could give the guys in customer services to check this..

--------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up on kudos. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution, but only do this once issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
paul0363
Superfast
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Is it a VoIP phone line?  i.e. Does the phone plug into the hub?

The alarm should work but you'll need to connect your extension wiring up to the hub (I had to do this - also have an alarm system that works no problem with VM's VoIP phone system).

To do this I put a phone doubler in an extension socket next to the hub and plugged a "BT plug to BT plug" lead (assuming you have an RJ11 to BT adapter in the socket on the Hub)20181121_125859.jpg from the Hub to one socket on the doubler and plugged my phone into the other. The other extensions, plus the alarm wiring, were then connected to V. (You also need to disconnect the extension wiring from the back of the faceplate on the BT master socket)

If it's a standard VM install (i.e. you have a VM master socket and the phone isn't plugged into the Hub) then you need to connect your extension wiring to the VM master.

0 Kudos
SimpleSimon
Superfast
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have an ADT monitored alarm and Virgin Media phone. The ADT phone side will need to be swapped over from your BT master socket to the Virgin master socket that Virgin should have installed.
0 Kudos
MartynHolland
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Except there is no master socker with VM's VOIP service

0 Kudos
paul0363
Superfast
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@MartynHolland wrote:

Except there is no master socker with VM's VOIP service

See my post above. I have an ADT alarm and a VM VoIP phone line.

You can connect the VM Hub to your extension wiring which should connect to your alarm - you may need to add an extension socket somewhere that the Hub can be plugged into with the wiring going back to where your alarm connects currently to the BT line.  It should be fairly straightforward to connect the alarm wiring to the extension wiring using a junction box (or to the back of another phone socket which will allow you to plug a phone in too).

Either way, ADT alarms work just fine with VM phone lines - VoIP or otherwise - the wiring may just need some alteration.

0 Kudos
Creed2828
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

We’ve been told by ADT that the virgin voltage at the box is too low (about 40V vs BT 50V) so won’t work with the system. ADT and virgin won’t do anything to rectify this.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That sounds like a poor excuse to me. The alarm system should work over a wide voltage range.

G_abreu
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Any chance you can write these instructions again and make it simple. Like step 1, 2, 3.

I've read it over 10 times and still cannot make sense on what you did to make it work.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
paul0363
Superfast
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Basically you need to connect the phone port on the hub to your extension wiring. You can buy a BT plug to BT plug extension wire and connect it from the hub to any extension socket in your house.  In order to connect a phone at the same socket or at the hub you'll need a socket "doubler".

Assuming that your alarm is connected to your existing phone wiring it should now be connected to the hub.

If your extensions were wired to an existing BT socket, you should disconnect them from the back of the BT faceplate in the master socket.

0 Kudos