Menu
RMDG
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

V6 box connect to non virgin media internet provider

Hi all. We have just cancelled our virgin media broadband and gone with a different internet provider. We have the v6 box and as we all know that requires internet connection. I have set it up to connect to the new wifi and it says 100% signal strength and finds the IP address but it wont connect to the virgin media services! What am I doing wrong? It obviously doesn't go through the old virgin hub now as this is now redundant, can you even connect it without having the hub? 

Thank you

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V6 box connect to non virgin media internet provider

If you want to keep Virgin TV you will need to swap the V6 for a 500Gb TiVO, which has its own internal modem.

The V6 relies on VMs internal network for some of its services (EPG, Updates, Account verification). Although these are provided via the Virgin hub, they cannot be accessed outside their own network.

Even if it were possible, how could VM guarantee reliable operation of their rented equipment when some of their services are delivered via third party equipment (& networks) they don’t support.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
RMDG
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks I had a feeling u were gonna say that. They didnt tell us this when we cancelled internet surely they should of said we'd need to swap the box and have one sent to us!? Anyway I will contact them.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Possibly V6’s are the only TV boxes now available. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The TiVos are still provided for those customers without VM broadband. I heard that VM had also reversed their procedure for the return of the TiVos, i.e. you now have to return them.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
RMDG
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply I will defo give them a call to ask for a swap. Shame really as I like the V6. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Good Afternoon RMDG,

Have you been able to call our team for the swap since your post?

Kindest regards

David_Bn

0 Kudos
cpp4ever
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The V6 box expects a DHCP internet connection. It will fail if you are using a fixed IP set up. Sadly this is not configurable on the V6 box, unlike the older Tivo boxes. I know this from experience and not any support from Virginmedia. Also the progam guide requires the internet connection and will therefore start to fail if you try to revert to a fixed IP configuration with your V6 box.

On the router you have you should be able to configure DHCP to assign fixed IP addresses to specific devices. That's what I ended up doing.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

"The V6 box expects a DHCP internet connection. It will fail if you are using a fixed IP set up. Sadly this is not configurable on the V6 box, unlike the older Tivo boxes. I know this from experience and not any support from Virginmedia. Also the progam guide requires the internet connection and will therefore start to fail if you try to revert to a fixed IP configuration with your V6 box.

On the router you have you should be able to configure DHCP to assign fixed IP addresses to specific devices. That's what I ended up doing."

So by this post are you saying you have been able to get a subscribed V6 box to work on a non VM broadband connection?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos