Menu
Concannonj
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Using second wall socket for HUB

Hello,I recently bought a new house I have got my HUB 4 and self set up kit installed it downstairs in wall socket 1 and I was getting 500mbps, then upstairs In what will be out office room I see another virgin media wall socket, we shall call this (wall socket 2) so I assumed this one may be for multi room, but I would rather have the HUB in the officer room so I can have all our office devices wired. So I plugged the HUB in upstairs in wall socket 2 and it was all connected and working but was only getting up to 50mbps, so I was thinking maybe them cables to wall socket 2 can’t transmit 500mbps so I took my hub down to the original wall socket 1 and I’m only getting up to 50mbps downstairs now too? I should be able to just have it plugged in the upstairs one and still get 500mbps surely? Im paying for 500mbps but now I can’t get above 50 in any? I was only getting 500mbps on day one of install, any help would be wonderful 

0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Using second wall socket for HUB

You need to go into the hub on 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 if in modem mode) and provide the up/downstream stats and network log for both locations. We need to see what the signal is in each location. Also the location where the hub is not connected to should really have a terminator on it. This is to stop noise ingress. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
Concannonj
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

for some reason now I am getting 500mbps in the upstairs socket too? Just have just been a few dodgey days? But thankfully I can now have it upstairs thank you for the reply much appreciated 

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Did you terminate the downstairs socket? The 75ohm caps are cheap and will stop any potential noise on your broadband circuit. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Concannonj
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No the downstairs one is still live I’m going to use that to run a coax cable directly to my tv box for the live channels 

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Concannonj wrote:

No the downstairs one is still live I’m going to use that to run a coax cable directly to my tv box for the live channels 

I assume by that you mean a Virgin TV box & Virgin supplied cable?

VM BB TV Landline. Vonage 2nd line. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Concannonj
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes virgin tv and virgin cable 

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

On your multiple posts you are saying you intend to use your own cable which will cause you problems with the signal levels as others have pointed out.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The two wall sockets are fine. For TV you'll probably got a V6 or a 360, either way a connection to the hub is required.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Concannonj
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

By connection to the hub you mean via internet by either Ethernet or WiFi I will have my tv downstairs connected directly to the wall socket then a Powerline to the hub upstairs this should work right? 

0 Kudos