Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Using Ethernet only, no WiFi

I'm using the Hub 3.0 and would like to turn off the WiFi completely and just use the ethernet cable. Is this possible?

Also, any reason why the Internet would cut out for short periods of time when using the ethernet cable? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Using Ethernet only, no WiFi

In answer to the first question - yes just go into the Hub settings and click the "disable wifi" boxes for the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.

It shouldnt drop on a wired connection.

First do a quick check that all of your coax connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc with no “unterminated loose ends, and that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing. Also check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

Then do a 60 second Hub “pinhole reset” with the Hub "switched on" throughout – then release the pin and leave 10’ to stabilise.

Then, post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there. In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before] click on the “router status” icon at top right (SH2’s) or text at bottom-middle of first page up (Hub3) and then copy/paste 3 FULL sets of data onto here – from the Downstream, Upstream, & Network Logs pages. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button a second time).

Also, in the meantime. Set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take an hour or two to start seeing a sensible picture.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Legend
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Don’t forget if you do a pin-hole reset, you will have to turn off the WiFi again if you did it before the reset.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
Highlighted
Hero
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Do you really have no devices that use WiFi, e.g mobile phones, tablets, etc.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I have my phone but I would rather be slightly inconvenienced and reduce EMFs. Silver lining is that I'll be less inclined to scroll IG for so long if I'm using my data!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Wow, thank you. That's a very full and informative answer. Does 10' mean minutes?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

If you want to reduce EMFs you need to start by turning off your mobile phone.

It transmits up to 40x the power of the WiFi, and it's right next to your head.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

My phone is almost always in flight mode! And will use it even less now that I will need to use my data or hotspot from the laptop 😉 double win lol

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Actually you'd better turn off your life if you want to avoid damaging ionising radiation. You get more per day in most houses because of natural radon decay in the bricks and motar of buildings and from the background cosmic radiation from the rest of the universe. But go ahead and lose all the advantages that modern means of communication offer for the sake of a psuedo-scientific piece of nonsense about wifi and mobile phone technology. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

😆Thanks so much for this valuable and v helpful free life advice- I'll be sure to add a note for *no life advice* next time I have a question!

0 Kudos