Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Use Vodafone old hub

Is it possible to use my old VF hub which I just abandoned after switching to VM, as a wireless repeater or access point?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Use Vodafone old hub

I think the IP address can be changed and the DHCP server disabled, won't cost anything to try and if so the hub can be repurposed as a free wireless access point in a LAN to LAN connection.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If Vodafone are like any other provider they'll want that hub back or they'll charge you for it. You normally receive a prepaid bag to send it back in. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@sscent wrote:

Is it possible to use my old VF hub which I just abandoned after switching to VM, as a wireless repeater or access point?

I've done something similar with my old VM SH2 and it works fine. You just need to get an Ethernet cable to it.

As mentioned, you have to disable the DHCP server (since your main router will be dishing out IP addresses).

Also, you may need to connect it to a PC / Laptop directly to give it a fixed IP address on your local network (otherwise it may use the IP address of your existing router or other device on your network).

I also have an Sky router that I have also successfully used as a wireless AP. Was amazed Sky did not want it back given it was the Q-Hub version.

When I left VM and Sky some years back I got a statement (that I kept) stating that they did not want the equipment back.
I think you need to double check that with Vodafone.

I have to say the wireless coverage is much better on my SH2 that the Q-Hub.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

As others have said you can try, and sometimes it works.  As a rainy day exercise I did it with an old VM Superhub, and with an old Sky hub.  The VM Superhub worked but its wifi was always weak anyway, the Sky hub initially worked but kept dropping its internet connection through my Hub 3, so was useless on a day to day basis.

My conclusion is that if you simply wish to give it a try (or if funds don't extend to buy a proper access point, mesh or router) then where's the harm in trying?  It may work, and may provide what you want for free.  But be aware that most ISP routers have poor wifi in the first place, and (like the Sky hub) they won't often play nicely with another hub, even though theory says they should. 

A mere thirty three quid would buy a basic but competent TP-Link Archer C50, and that should perform better as either a router or an access point than some given-away-in-a-Christmas-cracker ISP hub.  And in terms of putting my money where my mouth is, I've got my Hub 3 running in modem mode with a TP-Link Deco M4 mesh system.  As always, many other brands and products available, I recommend TP-Link simply because they're usually very good value and I've always found their products work well.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos