cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Gig1 fibre Question

JohnTurnham
Joining in

hi there, i was wondering if i could know if i can upgrade to M1000, how much would it cost Extra per month, and how much that would be in total ?

thanks you

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

The only way to find out is to phone up and ask.  Forum staff aren't allowed to offer sales advice or make package changes.

Call up, select the relevant options for package upgrades.  if you're currently in a fixed term contract, any existing discount will vanish, and you'll be started on a new 18 month minimum term, with the usual heavy exit penalties.  If you're out of a fixed term, then you can try your luck negotiating a discount to stay on your existing speed, and when you've got the best you think you'll ring out of them for that, ask "and how much if I go to 1 Gbps?"

It is possible to negotiate a discount straight up on 1 Gbps, but it's difficult because you've not got much leverage.  If there's a moderately near date for Openreach or another FTTP provider availability that might help.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

The only way to find out is to phone up and ask.  Forum staff aren't allowed to offer sales advice or make package changes.

Call up, select the relevant options for package upgrades.  if you're currently in a fixed term contract, any existing discount will vanish, and you'll be started on a new 18 month minimum term, with the usual heavy exit penalties.  If you're out of a fixed term, then you can try your luck negotiating a discount to stay on your existing speed, and when you've got the best you think you'll ring out of them for that, ask "and how much if I go to 1 Gbps?"

It is possible to negotiate a discount straight up on 1 Gbps, but it's difficult because you've not got much leverage.  If there's a moderately near date for Openreach or another FTTP provider availability that might help.

Hi,
thanks for you answer i managed to phone them up and i upgraded my broadband to gig1 fibre.

thanks

john

Hi John,

Out of interest. Did you have to pay much more?

Hi BigFloppy

The cost may vary depending on each customers package 

We may even be able to save you some money or no increase at all

Its worth getting in touch by any of these methods 

Sadly as a Forums Team we are unable to make any package changes 

Gareth_L

HI Gareth,

I ended up having to pay a bit more unfortunately as my previous package had a loyalty discount on...

Plus a condition of it was I took a £25 a month o2 sim... is this definitely a requirement? I don't even need it unfortunately.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@BigFloppy wrote:

HI Gareth,

I ended up having to pay a bit more unfortunately as my previous package had a loyalty discount on...

Plus a condition of it was I took a £25 a month o2 sim... is this definitely a requirement? I don't even need it unfortunately.

the £25 sim is a VOLT deal - looking at the website thats certainly is available but so is 1gig BB on its own - thats to new customers so any price shown will be for new users but i dont think the deals are any different for existing customers - just the price which you need to negotiate

imo they have mis sold you the O2 sim especially as you do not want it

that said what the price of BB only would be is the thing - they are pushing the volt deal so they may do better deals

but if you stay with the volt deal i would have thought you should have signed up for the 500 BB speed and then doubled it for free

there has been confusion in what the deal actually is - who did you speak to - if you did it via chat then thats offshore and they are not the best - you need to speak to UK retentions - so try this

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

if you get offshore then hang up and try again or say you want to give 30 days notice - that should get you transferred to the UK - once there just tell them what you [actually] want to discuss

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your response. I stupidly did the deal over their online chat, I would normally call with the cancellation option.

When you mention the double for free, is that a deal somewhere they are offering? Or do you mean they are upgrading all 500mbit customers to 1gig anyway?

I was already on their top package before gig1 was enabled in the area, so 500mbit in the package. Ultimate Oomph bundle but with a discount applied for loyalty.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

the tie up with O2 has brought the volt deals - anyone with an O2 sim and VM BB can initiate the upgrade for free - that moves the BB speed to the next one and doubles the data on the O2 sim

how that would work in practice with an upgrade i dont know but it would be worth a discussion with UK retentions who have more info and tend to get things right unlike chat or offshore

as i said in the earlier post afaik you did not have to take the O2 sim and if all this has happened in the last 14 days you can cancel and re look at things

so again go to UK retentions and talk about options - it may be that even with the O2 sim you have the best price but i doubt it

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thanks Tony.

Will give them a tinkle.