Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Upgrading my old router

I’ve had the same router for five years which is the Super Hub 2ac. I have had the WiFi drop quite a few times over the last week but it’s happened a couple of times before that and stopped me working from home for half an hour at least.

I checked to see if I was eligible for a new router and I can get a hub 3 for free but it wouldn’t let me order one online and suggested ringing instead.

I’ve tried ringing but after nearly an hour I gave up. Could someone from Virgin Media please get in touch?

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrading my old router

While you're waiting, just be aware that the newer routers do not have better WiFi than your 2ac.

There could be many reasons why your WiFi isn't working as well as it did - for one, there is now much more interference from neighbours with new equipment. Try reading the WiFi Wins that are posted on the forum.

If you want more reliable WiFi you should look at getting a better WiFi router or access point or a mesh system,

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrading my old router

jpeg1 is correct but you could try for the upgrade first and if the wifi is no better for you on the Hub3 - then get your own wifi equipment.

Did you try ordering one this way - or via your online account?

It works first time for about 50% of customers, but if you get the - "Ooops - please call" message, then that usually means you are on an old package that the computer cant recognise so they want to speak to you about it. When you call it in (08.00 is the best time to call) it's a coin toss whether the agent knows about the scheme. If they do they will just say "ok we will send one out" (there may be a delivery charge) - or - they say "oh no, that's an upgrade there will be a charge and it starts a new contract". Neither of those statements in correct - so just say no thanks and leave the call. Maybe try again at a different time (= different agent!).

After that you could try texting on 07533 051809 - include account name/number and what the issue is and see what they say – replies may take a bit longer

Finally a VM person should pick this up here and sort the swap for you, but it can take several days.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap.html?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos