Menu
LittleGreyCat
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Upgrading (?) SH to SH3 - can I go back if I want?

When I upgraded my Tivo I was also supplied, in the kit, with an SH3 and two power line adapters.

I am getting reliable throughput on my original SH and I have read many complaints about the SH3.

However the line is now reported to be upgraded to 200 Mb/sec which is beyond the capabilities of the original SH.

I would like to swap to the SH3 (in modem mode) and trial it to see if I get a faster and still reliable service.

However if the service turns out to be fast but flaky I would like the option to revert to the original SH.

Is this easy to do? That is, will VM enable the SH after there has been an SH3 on the line?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrading (?) SH to SH3 - can I go back if I want?

My understanding is no, you can't go back to using obselete kit on the network.

If you have replaced the TV box with a V6 this will have trouble coping with the orginal Superhub.

I swapped straight from an original Superhub to the Hub3 18 months ago & the Hub3 beats the original one hands down.

On the 350Mb package works solid at 350+ down 37 up. Only problem I had was a network issue & nothing to do with the Hub.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
LittleGreyCat
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Can you please expand on how the V6 can have problems working with the original Super Hub?

Since I am using it in modem mode the TV6 is talking to my Buffalo router over WiFi/LAN or my TP-Link AP.(over WiFi).

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It wasn't 100% clear in your first post that you were already using the Shub1 in modem mode, the point about the V6 struggling was probably based on the assumption that you were using it in router mode and the V6 would might well have difficulties with the wifi features of the Superhub.

In answer  your question though, once you connect the the Hub 3 and active it, the MAC address of it will be registered against your account and the address of the Shub will be deregistered. VM's policy is to get rid of the older kit off the network so although in theory it 'should' be possible to swop the registration back, almost certainly VM will refuse to do so. It wouldn't surprise me if the Customer Service people lacked the ability to even do so on their systems even if you could persuade someone to do it.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you are only using the hub in modem mode a Hub3 will be fine. Best to get rid of the older equipment that could fail anytime. The Hub3 will get 24 downstream and 4 upstream channels, which the SH1 cannot have. Been using Hub3 in modem mode since they came out no problems get 548 down 37 up on my 500 plan using a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos