cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to 1 Gig?

NickP1968
On our wavelength

I have just opted for the £5 upgrade from M500 to 1 Gig.

As a new Virgin Media customer I have only had my equipment for a few weeks, in the email it says I will be sent a hub5 box to self install.

I'm now wondering if I actually need the new box as the one I have is only 3 weeks old?

There is a cost I think of £35 with this upgrade, but do I actually need the new box for this upgrade?

Nick 

25 REPLIES 25

You guys have been fantastic 👍🏻

Thanks very much.

Nick 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @NickP1968 

Thanks for your response

Absolutely no bother at all, thank you for your time and be sure to contact us if you ever require any further assistance

Have a great weekend

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi guys,

Just installed the new Hub5 for 1gb+ internet speed, just tested it and I'm only getting 460 ish ?

So no different to before?

I understood it would jump upto 1100+

Nick 

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Information relating to speeds can be found here: https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/speed-policy

Just to confirm with the information provided - how are you running a speed test? Is this on a wired or wireless device? 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Nick,

Test the speed using https://samknows.com/realspeed/ 

It shows the speed directly to your hub and also the device you are using. In the bottom left hand corner is should also your package eg Package:Virgin Media,1000x50  or Package:Virgin Media,1000x100 if on the Gig1 tier.

You can also check the hub configuration by typing http://192.168.0.1/  into a browser window and clicking on Check router status (below the log in section)

Click on Configuration in the top navigation bar, then check the  Max traffic rate showing under Primary Downstream Service Flow - it should be 1230000450 bps

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

NickP1968
On our wavelength

Hi Ryan,

It was on my mobile through WiFi.

I got same results as before the upgrade?

Nick 

This forum is fantastic!!!

Thanks for the super information guys👍🏻

Nick 

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your reply NckP1968. 

There are a number of factors that can cause the speeds being delivered via WiFi to vary. 

Are you able to run a speed test via a device connected directly to the Hub via an ethernet cable?

Nat 

Nat

NickP1968
On our wavelength

Just got this off Samsung S20 ultra, not sure how to set up the WiFi hub controls?

Have also plugged the ethernet cable provided into the 2.5 socket?

Is that right?

Nick 

Screenshot_20230627_194703_Samsung Internet.jpg