Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Upgrade time

Hello,

I just upgraded from 100 to 350M. I was wondering how long it usually takes?

With all this working from home malarkey my better half has noticed that when Call of Duty on my PS4 is in full flow, and my Nest cams uploading that it drops out her connection to her work VPN. So the PS4 has to stay off during work hours. Unacceptable!!!! Thought upgrading was the easiest solution to both our problems.

Just wondered how long it took in the current climate and whether there's anything I can do to speed it up?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrade time

Hi Podgorny,

Normally the speed upgrade can be done right away, how did you go about upgrading your package and have you rebooted the modem since upgrading? 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Davy,

Sorry I should have stated, I upgraded online as I thought that would be quickest.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Usually a speed upgrade is done remotely and is instant, that being said it might be worth doing a reboot on the hub just to make sure its locked on to the correct speed.

Hope this helps

To PM just hover over my profile picture and click Send Message when the option comes up. Please don't post any of the info I've asked for in this thread as it's public

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Super solver
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I have a VPN and a PS4 running at same time, as well other devices in the house.

I dont think its the Speed, it more like the SH3 in router mode, it just cant handle all the traffic.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 500Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.

Yes, everything else always works flawlessly to be honest. The PS4 is wired and never misses a beat and the SH3 gives a better signal strength than any other router I've used in the past, both on 2.4 and 5G. However when she uses a remote VPN to dial into work, mostly it's ok, but almost as soon as the PS4 goes on, that's it. The connection either freezes or drops for her. It can be made slightly better by turning off the Nest cams, but not much.

With months of lockdown looming, and me working shift work from home, I need to be able to get online to escape for a while!!!!

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

You may want to get your own wireless router with 1Gb ports and have the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, if the speed upgrade doesn't help then I might just do that. Tempted to invest in a mesh router to see if that helps, but there's varying opinions about their throughput which is the all important issue for me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Speed still hasn't been upgraded yet. Anyone know of a definitive way of checking, rather than just doing a broadband speed test? My PS4 is wired but they can only download at 50M. I can use my iphone or ipad to check, but didn't know if there's somewhere else I can just look to see.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

You can do speed tests with any device I use speedtest.net you can also download the vigimedia apps to check your services

0 Kudos