Menu
dunnaldo
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Upgrade from M350 to M500

Hi

I recently upgraded online from M350 to M500 (broadband only).  The upgrade included the WiFi booster set that I do not need as I have no black spots in the house due to using the Superhub 3 in modem mode and a mesh network.

After 3 days speaking to support via chat and asking for the extra speed, I seem to be going round in circles.  I understand that even though I don't need the booster, I need to activate it in order to get the faster speed?  Is that correct? 

Do they "switch-on" the 500mb speed on activation of the booster?  Can I then unplug the booster afterwards and still get 500mb? 

Help!

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrade from M350 to M500

They are talking ball cocks.

On any contract excepting those with a Hub 4 the Boosters have a monthly charge, it looks like who ever you spoke to is on commission.

f you get the run around just tell them you want to leave, they will soon change their minds.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
dunnaldo
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I actually only have a Superhub 3.  I simply asked if there was a faster option for me and I was sent the promise of M500 and equipment I have no need for.  Now I cannot get through to speak or chat to anyone!

0 Kudos
iMx
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just quoted the same - from M350 -> M500, currently paying £54.50 out of contract, upgrade is £55 a month for 18 months with a wifi booster.  Or, £62 for just the M500 on rolling monthly contract.  

I have no problem with an 18 month contract, I just don't want to have to mess around with a wifi booster and/or activation of it!

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

They don't know if you are using the booster or not so if the price is cheaper with it then just accept the deal and never plug it in. Only the router requires activation and that's only if you need a replacement. 

It might be because people are upgrading to the bigger packages and then complaining there speed hasn't changed because they are using the WiFi from the router which is, to put it bluntly, crap. So they throw in a booster. I suppose the booster is easier/cheaper than modifying the router? 

0 Kudos
dunnaldo
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

UPDATE - OK, so after a few days I was finally up and running.  It seemed that the action of activating the booster enabled the installation to proceed and I have now unplugged the booster.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just check on your account that now after "activating" it onto your account that they dont start billing you £3/month rental for the privilege ! If they do call in and and cancel them and return them

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
dunnaldo
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No additional charge so I think we are good.

0 Kudos