Menu
donstokesy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Upgrade Install to Gig1?

Hi,

According to 'https://store.virginmedia.com/check-your-postcode'  i can get Gig1 at my address (for a £35 install charge), I know lucky me! 😀

But right now I cant afford the monthly cost, so ive signed up to M100.  The Pre-Install survey has happened (twice - but thats a different story!), theres no internal wall socket, no Brown Box on the house and no Service T box.

So its a brand new install and they are going to lay the bog standard Coax (fair enough, this is what i ordered) but im wondering if its possible to get the blown fibre layed instead to; A). be Gig1 capable if i want to upgrade, and B), reduce the amount of unsightly cables everywhere (if i have both Coax and fiber in the future).

The cable-pull team didnt seem to think Gig1 was in my area yet, i guess they assumed that by looking at the cabinet and it hadnt been upgraded?!?!?

I appreciate that its two different technologies; but is it possible to 'upgrade' the installation to Gig1 and get FTTP and Hub4 but have a M100 contract and be throttled to 108Mbps?

I dont really want to play the cancelling contracts game as my BT based internet runs out in a few weeks,  but id be happy to pay the £35 to upgrade the install.

Seems like a Win-Win for VM and me, anybody know if its possible? and how i would go about arranging it, the sales team are totally confused by the question!

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Upgrade Install to Gig1?

VM only install fibre to the premise in some areas, you don't need it for the 1 Gigabit connection, the coax they used is more than capable of handling this speed. They are also very unlikely to let you have a Hub4 if you are not taking the Gig1 offering from the start - you'll probably get a Hub 3 which is good for everything other than the Gig1 provision and if you do subsequently want to upgrade to it then it'll require a hub swop.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

not sure where you are getting your info or if you are just assuming things

VM have 2 technologies - if thats the right word - FTTP which is project lightning and in some areas - thats fibre to the premises and 'normal/old' tech which is fibre to the main cab and then coax to slave cabs and to the home - the 2 are separate and not mixes

so if you are on coax to the premises then they will pull a coax from the cab to your front house wall - fit the omni box and wire internally - that stech suppors all speeds cuttently on offer so if you upgrade to 1gig in the future they would send you a hub4 assuming they have not given you one - you are likely to get a hub3 which cannot support 1gig and send the config file to the correct hub and you would be on 1gig

Tony
0 Kudos
donstokesy
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Jem and Tony,  i made the assumption that Gig1 was FTTP,  didnt realise the Coax supports Gig1.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Also consider the widely advertised Gig 1 cost is for new customers.  Once you sign up for 100 Mbps you'll be in an 18 month fixed term contract, and although VM are very open to customers upgrading during that time (and resetting the clock for a new 18 month period), you'll only be able to get what VM are willing to offer you as an upgrade price to an existing customer.  Sometimes that's really good value, sometimes it isn't, and it's fairly rare to see existing customers getting new customer pricing.  At the end of a fixed term contract you've got some leverage, but prior to that you've got little or none. 

I'd strongly recommend you consider why you want 1 Gbps before committing.  "Because I just want it" is absolutely valid, but if you think you need it, then you'd have to have some very special requirements to achieve any effective utilisation of it.  If you're a gamer, then the superior latency of Openreach often trumps the bandwidth of a cable connection despite the slower speeds.  And if committed to VM, then even if you had a household of six people, all concurrently streaming different 4K content, you'd still not be saturating a 200 Mbps connection.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

One thing to remember is that even with VM fibre to your home it’s converted to coax before feeding to your hub.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Tudor wrote:

One thing to remember is that even with VM fibre to your home it’s converted to coax before feeding to your hub.

But you do sometimes get a better quality connection because the coax is that much smaller and doesn't pick up the interference you get when it's running several hundred meters, but it does have it's own problems, so it's all swings and roundabouts.

Bottom line is always the same: If the equipment you are connected to is maintained correctly then it shouldn't matter which you are connected to.

0 Kudos