Menu
Domtvr
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Unrecognised access point.

Hi

I have recently joined virgin.   After installing the connect app, it flags an error-

'It looks like you're connected to your home network via an unrecognised access point'. 

I am only connected to the hub on my wifi settings. 

Tried logging in & out, restarting hub, reset hub. 

Wanted to scan house as kids bedrooms are struggling with WiFi. 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unrecognised access point.

There is a school of thought that says the VM Connect app is (like most corporate apps) a bug riddled P.O.S.  I couldn't comment because I wouldn't bother to install it on my phone, and indeed it wouldn't work if I did because I use my hub in modem mode.

Which, I'm afraid is my recommendation to you, and involves spending a few quid to banish wifi woes forever.  The wifi performance of VM's hubs is weak, and despite years of complaints the company continues to offer even its newest hub with a poor spec, so there's no mileage in asking for a Hub 4 (which isn't even on general release yet).  Even if you get the Connect app to work, it'll just tell you you need to order one or more of VM's over-priced and clunky boosters that you have to rent for an extortionate price.

Far better to buy yourself a mid price mesh wifi system, put the hub in modem mode, and that should resolve the issue.  I use this, and it's excellent, probably the best seventy quid I've spent on tech in many years.  There's more expensive systems from Asus and Netgear if you want to roll the boat out.  Avoid anything that doesn't have gigabit ethernet ports, and avoid Amazon/Eero, Google/Nest and BT systems - they all work, often very well, but are comparatively expensive for what's on offer.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos