cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown VM Box on my House

Cylon1812
Joining in

I've come home to find a 2nd VM box fitted to the wall on the front my house, i wasn't contacted by VM or asked if this could be fitted. I called support and they know nothing about it and told me that an Engineer will be coming out to assess it in 48 working hours, that Puts that visit at next Wednesday (05/03/2023) which is unacceptable. 

As the black cable with thin green live in going into the same cover as mine and the box isn't even connected to another nearby property i am taking upon myself to consider that this box was fitted by a some sort of scammer who may have spliced into my line and is now hacking my internet connection. As such for Security reasons i am going to cut that cable. I wont tear the box off of my wall just yet as i want to know if VM really did fit it. The cable going into the ground wasn't even protected with a cable protector like mine was by the official VM installer. It all looks too suspect for me to ignore for the next 5 days.

I cant get into the cover to check the cable as it seems to be locked shut. Has anybody ever seen this before please?

The blue square is my VM Box and the red one is the new one fitted without my permission, also the new one doesn't have a cable going to any propertyThe blue square is my VM Box and the red one is the new one fitted without my permission, also the new one doesn't have a cable going to any propertyThe new one had an odd black cable with a thin green line on itThe new one had an odd black cable with a thin green line on itI tried to open the cover but it seems to stuck shut and you can see the new cement where the cable goes inI tried to open the cover but it seems to stuck shut and you can see the new cement where the cable goes in

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jem101
Superstar

@Cylon1812 wrote:

I've come home to find a 2nd VM box fitted to the wall on the front my house, i wasn't contacted by VM or asked if this could be fitted. I called support and they know nothing about it and told me that an Engineer will be coming out to assess it in 48 working hours, that Puts that visit at next Wednesday (05/03/2023) which is unacceptable. 

As the black cable with thin green live in going into the same cover as mine and the box isn't even connected to another nearby property i am taking upon myself to consider that this box was fitted by a some sort of scammer who may have spliced into my line and is now hacking my internet connection. As such for Security reasons i am going to cut that cable. I wont tear the box off of my wall just yet as i want to know if VM really did fit it. The cable going into the ground wasn't even protected with a cable protector like mine was by the official VM installer. It all looks too suspect for me to ignore for the next 5 days.

I cant get into the cover to check the cable as it seems to be locked shut. Has anybody ever seen this before please?

The blue square is my VM Box and the red one is the new one fitted without my permission, also the new one doesn't have a cable going to any propertyThe blue square is my VM Box and the red one is the new one fitted without my permission, also the new one doesn't have a cable going to any propertyThe new one had an odd black cable with a thin green line on itThe new one had an odd black cable with a thin green line on itI tried to open the cover but it seems to stuck shut and you can see the new cement where the cable goes inI tried to open the cover but it seems to stuck shut and you can see the new cement where the cable goes in

That is very, very weird, look firstly, it probably isn’t some kind of hacking attempt, unless it’s the world’s least competent hacker, as it’s not exactly discrete is it? Sometimes, this happens when a neighbour orders VM, the installer turns up only to find there’s no cable for them and decides to splice into next door’s, but that doesn’t seem to be the case here.

Honestly, I suspect that this is a simple balls up with addresses and some poor installer has been given a job to install a box at xxx, instead of yyy, and they’ve turned up, taken a look, shrugged and done just that.

However, you can’t be criticised for being cautious so yes, go out, or leave it until the morning and cut away all the wires leading to this new box, oh and don’t just cut them but cut out a good few centimetres of cable so they can’t be easily rejoined.

Look, I’m sure that there is a perfectly good, innocent reason for why this box is there, but just in case……

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

19 REPLIES 19

jem101
Superstar

@Cylon1812 wrote:

That is very, very weird, look firstly, it probably isn’t some kind of hacking attempt, unless it’s the world’s least competent hacker, as it’s not exactly discrete is it? Sometimes, this happens when a neighbour orders VM, the installer turns up only to find there’s no cable for them and decides to splice into next door’s, but that doesn’t seem to be the case here.

Honestly, I suspect that this is a simple balls up with addresses and some poor installer has been given a job to install a box at xxx, instead of yyy, and they’ve turned up, taken a look, shrugged and done just that.

However, you can’t be criticised for being cautious so yes, go out, or leave it until the morning and cut away all the wires leading to this new box, oh and don’t just cut them but cut out a good few centimetres of cable so they can’t be easily rejoined.

Look, I’m sure that there is a perfectly good, innocent reason for why this box is there, but just in case……

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@jem101 wrote:oh and don’t just cut them but cut out a good few centimetres of cable so they can’t be easily rejoined.

Smooth sir! 

Smoother than an adult film star's cojones.

Do not cut any cable as it's a VM installation, wait for the tech to come round.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

Do not cut any cable as it's a VM installation, wait for the tech to come round.

I mean seriously, you actually think that a tech is really coming out within 48 hours to ‘assess this’ or was it the usual BS ‘get the customer off the phone ASAP’ job? Let’s see shall we?

But hypothetically, assuming that the OP is telling the truth, unless you suspect otherwise, then the facts are that someone, presumably VM, have turned up, trespassed on his property (which is a civil matter), and have screwed a box to his wall and hence damaged it, (which, technically is criminal damage and legally a criminal matter).

Yes?

Neither the box nor the cable is doing any harm, and there is zero danger of scamming. No purpose can be served by causing damage.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Cylon1812 wrote:

I've come home to find a 2nd VM box fitted to the wall on the front my house, i wasn't contacted by VM or asked if this could be fitted. <snip>

There are surprisingly-regular topics on here about people returning home to find VM wall boxes unexpectedly fixed to their homes. Explanations might include mix ups with road names - Bodge It Street gets mixed up with nearby Bodge It Road etc. etc.

In your case, it looks like the black 'cable' with the green line is actually a micro duct for fibre optic cable. I don't think you can share that from an existing connection so my guess is that whoever installed it, has (mis)used the existing duct lid in the paving stones (on your property) to bring in another fibre connection for the second omnibox outside.

Looks like the plate in the paving slab has a small circular screw or fixing to the LHS bottom edge to secure it maybe and/or a sprung clip along the bottom edge to hold the lid down if the screw is missing (may require a screwdriver to prise open once the securing screw is removed). If you can open it, you could see how many micro ducts are coming to the surface.

What sort of building is the property? If you are in a terrace, could the installer have used the existing underground duct with a view to providing a connection to a neighbour? Part 1 of a VM installation usually involves just the external work with a VM tech visiting later to make the internal connections. Have you asked any adjoining neighbours if they have ordered VM.

IMO, it's either a wrong address installation or a proposed installation (mis)using an existing underground duct to connect a neighbour.

Don't hold your breath waiting for that technician to appear but also (IMHO) hold off with any cable cutter action until you get a response from the VM forum staff. I don't think you are in any imminent danger from it being there.

PhilipF
Superfast

I'm sure this has caused some concern, could it be in preparation for fibre to premises. Has any otherVM customers had this done in the street. Or it's c#ck rather than anything else. 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@PhilipF wrote:

I'm sure this has caused some concern, could it be in preparation for fibre to premises. Has any otherVM customers had this done in the street. Or it's c#ck rather than anything else. 

These are BOTH fibre to home (RFoG) installations. It is just that the older one has capping installed under the Virgin ONU. These boxes are totally separate installations using separate lines to the cabinet, so the OP has nothing to worry about as the installer has not touched their installation.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

carl_pearce
Community elder

I'm going to take a wild guess that, taking into consideration where the CATV is, one of your neighbours is getting a connection, and the engineer has used the wall to attach their box, with the intention to run a cable from the new box to their home.  

You may want to check any historical wayleave on your property as VM may have rights to access the CATV box, however not so sure they would have rights to attach other neighbour's hardware to your wall!