cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unifi UDM - drop out internet

Rose76
Joining in

HI I have had a Unifi UDM  and each time I try and connect it to the router it works but then has drop outs from the internet. after a while it starts again but means I can't do much.  each time I have updated the firmware and hope it works but to no avail. I have seen some posts similar but is there a fix as I ahem had to go to my old router again?

any help much appreciated 

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
It may just need reconnecting using the sequence below. If not there are Ubiquiti users on this forum that may be able to offer more suggestions when they get here

Switch on and set up your own router (in its settings) to have the WAN port set to be in Automatic IP i.e. DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from your new router and switch it off and unplug it.

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!).

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off.

Next, switch your router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John. 
tried that but did not work. hopefully other people maybe able to help. 

thank you  though. 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you setting up the UDM via WiFi or Ethernet connection? 
I have a large amount of Unifi equipment including a UDM Pro, never had trouble setting it up, but have you followed the instructions that John gave you. I know the default address of the LAN side of the UDM is set to 192.168.1.x, whereas the Vm hubs in router mode 192.168.0.x. If you have any devices with static addresses in them they will need changing.

Here are a step by step guide to putting the VM hub into modem mode:

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP

4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Note: this only needs doing once for each new router or VM changes your WAN IP address.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks Tudor will try again tonight. It is via cable.