cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Typical 4 months for installation?

dpelf002
Tuning in

I am requesting someone from Virgin reach out to me directly. I signed up for services on 9 December and still have not had a line ran to my house. Virgin has missed 3 appointments causing me to stay home from work for no reason. 

I filled a complaint with Virgin from my account and received an answer: 

From our investigation of the account, we do not find any supporting notes from the engineers as to why the installation has been delayed. To discuss this further, we would need you to call our pre-installation team at the number mentioned below so that we can assist you further.

Guess how useful the pre-installation team has been over the last 64 days? Every day installation is scheduled "today." Every representative gives different guidance and none of it is helpful. I have a new install date but it is for 22 March (4 months later) and I have no reason to believe that it will be honored. 

I understand installation can take up to 10 weeks and we are well past that. I am well aware of the unacceptable nature of Virgin's system for hook up by looking at similar posts in this thread.

5 REPLIES 5

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

They're very good at reaching out here.  But it won't make much difference, the installation process will still operate as it always has.  There's a velvet bag of numbered balls. Each number corresponds to a unique (would be) customer.  And on any day there's only a fixed number of installations possible.  Each afternoon the Installs Panel meet, and they draw the installations for the next day:

FX: Rustle, rustle

Hushed commentator No 1:  "63"  

Hushed commentator No 2:  "Mr B Gribble, 42 Knifecrime Walk, Bromley"

Hushed commentator No 1:  "Been waiting three months and two weeks"

Hushed commentator No 2:  "But Virgin Media will blame the council in order to avoid paying compensation, so not to worry"

Of course, if your number doesn't get pulled, you go into the following days draw, but that means unless there's a day when yours is the ONLY ball in the bag, AND there's at least one slot available that day, then there's a statistical chance your install won't happen before the end of time.  But that's fear-mongering.  Nobody's had to wait more than one year, one month and 13 days, based on affected customers reporting in this very forum.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

where does your info that install can take up to 10 weeks come from - i see one staff member quoting that in their recent posts - imo thats just as made up as the moon is made of green cheese - its a change from we may need council permission and that can add 6 to 8 weeks which really means

we know you want an install we will ask the council [or not] in a few weeks - they will grant permission in 48 hours - 72 at most - we will then think about when we want to be bothered to install - hence 6 to 8 weeks

add to that sub contractors seem adept at turning up looking - lying if you manage to catch them and have a word - getting back in the van and scarpering - all known and said from personal experience

so as andrew says its a lottery and 13 months is up their as a target

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @dpelf002 👋.

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

Our sincere apologies for the delayed install. I know it isn't ideal and not a great start!

I would love to take a closer look into this and help get some answers for you. 

Will pop you a PM now to confirm some details and we can take it from there 😊

Speak to you soon!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @dpelf002 thanks for speaking with us today on the forums. 👋🏼

We are sorry to hear about you leaving us but I do understand with everything that has happened this is the best option for you as you have found suppliers elsewhere.
The issue came down to the blockage unfortunately to which the construction team could not work around - therefore they had plans to re-route the pre-pull cable but due to budgeting and planning works, it was not possible to get this done.

Perhaps in future we may be able to get this cleared and have the area set up.
If you do have any queries - always feel free to reach out to us on here and we will assist as much as we can.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@dpelf002 wrote:

I am requesting someone from Virgin reach out to me directly. I signed up for services on 9 December and still have not had a line ran to my house. Virgin has missed 3 appointments causing me to stay home from work for no reason. 

<snip>

Hope you will be receiving some substantial compensation for a long-delayed installation which it sounds like VM ultimately decided to cancel.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/216962/Industry-Code-of-Practice-for-Automatic-...