Menu
Francescapowis
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Trouble getting wifi installed

Hi,

Please can someone help us. 

My partner and I have moved to a new build and took our virgin media wifi contract with us to the new house. With the house being a new build we filled out an application form on the 21/01 to have external work completed at our property. The external work date keeps getting pushed back by a day and when we ring virgin media’s customer services we keep getting assured it will be set up soon but each day we ring back and to all to another person and it isn’t getting sorted. 

The installation date for our wifi is 13/03 but my partner works from home and i am a student doing online learning which is obviously impossible without wifi. 

We are really struggling to get any progress and it is very stressful as we can’t seem to get through to any one at virgin media that can help us. please could someone advise us on what to do? 

Thank you in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Trouble getting wifi installed

the key date is the 13/3 thats the date for the install - the other date you have for external work is a rolling date there is no fixed date for that other than it will/should be completed before the 13/3

so in itself what is happening is correct - as and when the external team complete the work the job will disappear off the work sheet

so as things stand everything is progressing as it should 

Tony
0 Kudos
Francescapowis
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony,

I understand this however we need our wifi sooner and we filled out the application form on 21/01 which means we will have been nearly 7 weeks without wifi when we both work from home. We need a sooner installation date as we cannot complete our work without wifi therefore it is urgent. 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

ahhh ok that was not clear - your best option is to ring and speak to the pre install team - staff here will get to the thread in a few days to a week but theres not much they can do 

as a new build you could have a word with the site agent they may have a route back to VM

other than that you need to look at alternatives to fill in the time up to VM's installation 4g sim or whatever 

Tony
0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ah, I think I understand now. You knew that the go-live date for your broadband service was going to be 13 March yet you decided to go ahead with the contract. Now you want to queue jump because your need for broadband is obviously much more important than the needs of any other potential VM customer or existing customer who either needs an installation or a fault rectified. 

You might have noticed that in a pandemic installation work is likely to be a bit more tricky. VM techs have to enter peoples' home putting them at risk from Covid transmission and also putting customers at risk in the same way. The pandemic also affect external work because of the need for socisl distancing on the teams who do that work. That has reduced the ability of  all ISPs to act speedily when any engineering work is required. VM are not going to drop everything for you.

You have some other choices at the moment. You could buy yourself a 4G dongle from one of the mobile providers to give yourself an internet connection at home to bridge the gap. If you have a working Openreach phone line in your home you could sign up with one of the ISPs that use that network and who will deliver the equipment to your home for you to plug in and go:  and give VM the heave-ho by cancelling the contract. Or you can wait for VM to complete the external work and then run the connection to your home.

By the way - you are not waiting for wifi to be installed. You are waiting for a fixed line broadband based internet connection for which you need home equipment installed from your ISP. It is that equipment which will deliver your wifi and also any wired connections you set up. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks