Menu
FrugalMcdougal
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Transfer to 360

I would appreciate some advice. Virgin telephone number unavailable at the moment.

I currently have two tv lines into my property, One upstairs for me (V6 box) and one downstairs (TIVO box) Parents.

I am upgrading to 360 boxes I have been told I will receive 2 new ones.

Today I received a package containing one 360 box and two remote controls (?) (No Mini Box, I haven't any coaxial connections to use the mini's)

Virgin retentions will call me back on Monday to update my package expecting me to have installed two new boxes on each line.

Questions

1) Should I wait until Monday to do anything ?

2) Can I install my one new box to replace my V6 Box?

3) Can I reuse my old V6 box from upstairs to replace the older TIVO Box downstairs?

4)) Will I then be able to install the second new box if it ever arrives?

5) Am I correct that to use any future mini boxes Virgin need to put a coaxial link into our kitchen?

Thanks in anticipation of some great help.

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Transfer to 360

Any TV box you are currently using at the moment can be moved elsewhere in the property as long as you have a coax connection there, however if it's an upgrade I wouldn't bother as when you activate the newer boxes the old ones will likely be deactivated at the same time. 

So if you only have 1 box and are expecting 2, then who knows what they'll do. 

Best thing to do is ring them in the morning at 8am, and they'll probably post another box. 

0 Kudos
FrugalMcdougal
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply,

I'd love to call CS but that is one of the issues, the line is at capacity (understandable why) and a message to say CS unavailable.

Interesting that that if I install the new 360 box on V6 line, the outgoing V6 may be deactivated, I was hoping I could just connect the V6 to the tivo line and should reinstall auto. I'm not convinced I'm getting another 360 box.

cheers
0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can just connect it if you wish and see if it works, but typically all Virgin equipment won't work until it's been activated, and if you receive an upgrade/replacement, etc the old equipment is deactivated as you shouldn't typically require it any longer. It also means that if it ends up on ebay/etc, it's pretty much useless. 

Some equipment is sent out pre-activated, but most still require a call to at least an automated line to allow it to connect (activation). The activation also signifies to Virgin that you have received the equipment and it hasn't been lost in the post. 

0 Kudos
FrugalMcdougal
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Z92

Thanks for your response again, I think I am going to wait until Monday and accept the delay.
you are confirming my layman's thoughts, the delivery via Yodel was also unsatisfactory which I have also noted with the courier, No signature, left partially hidden, although sealed, incomplete items in box.

Should a new box not be forthcoming then I think I need to ensure that when Virgin contact me on Monday the redundant V6 box needs reassigning to replace the very redundant tivo box.

I appreciate your time, just trying to have a plan with limited access to Virgin CS.

Stay Safe
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

The one problem you will have is that once you have a v360 on your network then even if the v6 is reactivated it will not work as you cannot have a v6 on the same network as a v360 the v6 will not work in tandem with thee v360.

What you may find is that your v6 is due to get the update to the v360 software i.e. Horizon 4 and the replacement box you have is actually a v360 mini which will be used to replace the older Tivo that you have. If you compare the box you received too your v6 are they the same or is the one you have received around half the height, if it is half the height then it is a v360 mini to replace your Tivo and your v6 will be software upgrade to the same software as the v360.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
FrugalMcdougal
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi DJ Shadow

That is interesting I pay for two tv boxes on separate lines and stressed that if I amend my package to 360 I don't want just one new box and a mini, maybe it isn't possible to have two feeds with the 360 set up.

I thought I would be getting two new 360 boxes to run independently for recording purposes on each.

Thanks for your post I will certainly ask about V6 incompatibility on a 360 network. the whole point of upgrading was to get 4k capability on the feed to the tivo box. so far virgin only allowed us one V6 box. If I only end up with one 360 box i was hoping to replace the tivo with the V6.

I maybe missing the point sorry if I am, thanks for the information.

0 Kudos
FrugalMcdougal
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

LIGHTBULB NOW ON

A bit slow but finally getting there, the mini box (yes it is a mini) replaces the old TIVO box and the V6 box upgrades to 360 , then the two remotes will needed one for each box

The only thing I'm losing is the ability to record to separate hard disks, in effect reducing my storage capacity and recordings from the mini will be stored on the upgraded 360 box.

Profiles then control who can see which favorites or quickly access each profiles' recordings.

Can the mini box be used when the upgraded V6 box is in standby?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello

There is no hard drive in the mini it records on the v360 which will work when in standby you have too make sure that either fast start, or active start is enable on the main v360, even though there is reduced storage due to the way that the v360 records it uses a more efficient form and can store more data than a v6 could on the same size hard drive.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos