cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time from cabling to go live?

sambartle
On our wavelength

How long is the current delay between the street/area being cabled and go live of services?

Virgin ran all the cabling and boxes round my estate and down the street about 3 months ago.. and someone then called at the door 3 weeks later to ask about the level of disruption and if we were happy with the works (we were, its been done very tidily).

The VM staff member said it should be going live in about 2 weeks when I asked about it, which was now about 2 months ago.. the postcode checker still shows my address as not yet available.. 

In my last house there were agents at the door immediately after the cabling finished and I was on service within about 3 weeks. 

Anyone know a better way to know when it may be available?

6 REPLIES 6

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

How long is a piece of string??

The ground build is just the first stage of the process. If it is a large build like part of a town it may be a longer wait than if its just a few roads or a single estate.

The staff here will not know when it is likely to be completed.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Client62
Alessandro Volta

For us orders opened one month after the VM connection box was installed in front of our garden.
Do you have a VM connection box at the boundary of your property ?
It might look like one of these ...

Client62_2-1673871839259.pngClient62_0-1674067252179.png

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi sambartle, 

Thanks for taking the time to post about your question in the Community.

There isn't any sort of set time I'm afraid as it will have so many different factors. What we can do, is look at seeing if there is any sort of timed plan although we will need to confirm some of your details to do this. 

I have sent you a direct message to allow us to do this with you in a private space. If you are using a PC/Laptop then you can just click on the little ✉ at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox. If you are on a mobile/tablet device then instead click on the little circle icon in the top right then select 'Messages'. 😊

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @sambartle

Thanks for coming back to me via private message with your information. 

I have forwarded the address over to our lightning teams now to see what the latest news is. 

Once I get a reply from the team I will let you know. Just to set expectations it may take a few days depending on how busy they are 😊

Speak soon,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

sambartle
On our wavelength

Thanks Kath for looking into it for me and the other posters for their help.

As it happens I've just had a virgin agent at my door and booked the installation. It turns out as this is on the xgs-pon network, there's no box needed in the pavement, it's apparently going to go via the BT ducting the phone lines use (this will be interesting as that looks impossible to me!).. we shall see in 3 weeks when it's installed!

Thanks for all the replies. 

For  anyone searching and finding this, the answer was 4 months, but I think part of that delay was waiting for the xgs-pon service to go live as my area is full FTTP straight to the router. 

No boxes in the pavement either (or really any visible groundworks) it's all through the existing BT ducting (another 1 week delay as that had partially collapsed since it was installed in 1995 and had to be excavated further down my estate)