cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible Wi-Fi, unhelpful support - am going back to Sky

Devkm
Joining in

Am reaching out for some support and, hopefully, action.

I've been a longstanding Sky customer but signed up to Virgin as they offered Fibre and faster speeds.

Biggest mistake!!!!

We've had the service (laughable) for 5 days now and the whole family is frustrated. The Wi-fi keeps dropping. Almost 50 times a day. We can't watch any streaming content wiithout the connection dropping, No device, even one only 20 feet away, connected through wi-fi is unaffected, except for me as I have an ethernet connection to the router.

So we know it's not the broadband.

It's definitely the Wi-Fi, and I believe the Router may be faulty as even within direct sight of the router, the signal drops.

Despite 3 hrs on the phone, endless cycles of trying different things, all I've been offered is 1 (!!!) booster, for which I have to pay for delivery and it will take up to 14 days to arrive!!! And that may not even solve the problem! Ridiculous.

As broadband is essential for work for 3 of us in the family, I can't wait 14 days and then potentially still have a problem. 

Am going to ask for an engineer to come and fix the issue, if I get no joy and going to cancel the service as am still within the cooling off period.

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
A VM person can look at you connection on here but could take a day or two to get here

See if any of this is of any help - if not - never leave it to the last day to cancel the contract.

Do you know if its a wifi only issue (ethernet connections are ok?), if it is - then On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - so its worth trying - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - I am guessing that is what they have already offered you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 20 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max

See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option if they work for you.

If you do want to invest in your own better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

See message 5 in this thread for how to connect Pods

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/WiFi-boosters-needed/m-p/5122436#M497217

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Devkm

Thanks for using the Community Forums to get this issue with your services looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration, especially as it's so early into your tenure with us! 😥 I would be more than happy to look into this for you. 

I can see on your service that you may have already spoken to us about the fault, could you let us know whether you managed to get an engineer booked? 

If not, we can still help on here if you need an engineer booking 👨‍🔧

Please let us know so we can help further!

Thanks,

Megan_L

Hi @Megan_L, thank you for your response.

We've had the engineer around and he's re-sited the router which, unfortunately, hasn't helped.

I've lost my ethernet connection and now get 14Mbit/sec, seated 10 feet from the router and in direct line of sight of it.

The Sky TV box (25 feet away)  finds the network but cannot connect. I can't connect to the router upstairs and although we've got a booster, it only works in the room it's in! So, we effectively need a booster in each room, but apparently they can only be ordered 1 at a time, which is frankly ridiculous.

The move to Virgin has been pointless as we can't watch streaming media anywhere in the house. This has, frankly, been a disastrous experience from  the beginning. I really do regret moving to Virgin.

BTW, regarding the engineer, I had to battle to have one sent and was going to be charged for it! Sky, on the other hand, are sending one out immediately to check, in case it is the Sky box that's faulty - which it isn't because all was working fine until we moved to Virgin.

I have mentioned it to my neighbours (whose Sky networks, incidentally, come across even more strongly than the Virgin network across 2 external walls and 50 feet separation!!!) and who have been considering Virgin. They are watching for updates from us. Hopefully they see sense.

We're on Day 8 since the so called service was installed and unless Virgin can pull the rabbit out of the hat, I will go back to Sky.

Hi @Devkm 

Sorry to hear that the engineer visit to relocate the hub has not helped to resolve your service concerns. I have checked the systems at our side and can see that your attenuation and upstream power levels are now out of specifications and we would need an technician to be arranged to investigate at the property further. 

Please join me on private message so I can locate your account and pass account security. You can see your private messages at the top of the page, in the envelope icon. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thank you for joining me on private message @Devkm 

If you prefer to call to discuss your service concerns, that's absolutely fine. You can contact the team on 0345 454 1111 or 150 from a Virgin Media landline and they'll be able to assist further.

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

be sure to watch the 14 day clock and dont let the terrible offshore CS con you into staying saying it will all be fine - wifi from all the VM hubs is poor at best - you could probably solve it by adding your own 3rd party router and running the hub in modem mode

pods can help but unless you are on a top package they cost you a monthly fee - something offshore tend not to mention and that fee goes on for ever

the levels on the hub being incorrect is not going to affect the level of wifi - it may affect the speed and reliability but the signal will not change when the levels are correct

so again watch the clock and make sure you have your notice in if you want to leave in the 14 days - that in itself can be problematic as they will do anything to make things difficult - expect to be ignored - the call dropped and anything else 

as to this from staff here

If you prefer to call to discuss your service concerns, that's absolutely fine. You can contact the team on 0345 454 1111 or 150 from a Virgin Media landline and they'll be able to assist further.

any call will get you through to offshore support - to temper your expectations of any help start from the fact their knowledge is worse than my cat and they will tell you what you want to hear or what they think you want to hear and lie through their back teeth if it suits - other than that they are great!

Tony.
Sacked VIP