cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible Customer Service

Skyisthelimit
Tuning in

I’d like to give some feedback to Virgin, and some advice to any current or prospective customers.

if you want a new fibre broadband installation LOOK ELSEWHERE!

I signed up with Virgin on the promise that they would install gigabit fibre in my house in a timely manner however, after four consecutive missed appointments, I have totally lost faith in them. 

I have spent hours on the phone to their customer service department to discover that none of their agents has any idea when the necessary works will take place. 

When challenged, their representatives will lie to you in order to get you off of the phone, but if you press them they will transfer your call to another department when they reach the end of their script.

They try to shift the blame on to their third party contractors, in my case AVonline, but no one takes responsibility for their failings, and you can never speak to an area field manager.  Furthermore, there is no satisfactory complaints process. 

When I realised that there wasn’t even an estimated date of installation I cancelled my order as I no longer felt they were competent to provide it.

If you have ordered a fibre package and they delay any installation appointment, CANCEL IMMEDIATELY. DO NOT FALL FOR THE SUNK COST FALLACY.  They will not honour any other appointment either. 

The whole experience has been truly disgusting.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I see VM have invoked the old "6-8 weeks for council permits" excuse. 

This could be true, but I'd bet a sizeable sum it not.  You can check.  Phone your local council (unitary or county) and ask for the highways department.  Tell them that Virgin Media are blaming them for delays of that magnitude, and ask if any permits have been requested, if so, and when they were issued. 

Contrary to urban myth, most councils are very prompt at issuing the necessary permits (called a Section 50 permit), because they're not just needed by toytown outfits like VM, but real utilities like gas, water, electricity, Openreach, and they require a permit to be turned round very quickly.  The same "blame the council" garbage is often trotted out when trying to dodge the applicable delayed installation compensation.  And incidentally you're still entitled to that compensation if you cancel the installation yourself.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Make sure they pay the compensation of £5.25 a day for a delayed installation between your original install date and the date you cancelled.  Don't be surprised if you're fed further lies about "provisional dates" or delays due to council permits.  Ultimately you may need to take the complaint to the industry adjudicator CISAS. 

I don’t think that applies unless they actually install it. It’s yet another way of keeping you hanging on, and probably another incentive for them not to install it al all!

Nope, 100% it does apply if you have a delayed installation, and cancel before it occurs.  Follow the link, in the linked post there's a further link to the formal Ofcom Code Of Practice, and your job is to read sections 29 & 30.

Hi Skyisthelimit,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting. 

I am very sorry to hear of our experience with the delayed installation, we appreciate this must be frustrating. 

There can be many reasons for a delay in installation such as gaining access to the property or construction work being required. 

When construction work is needed, the wait time can vary dependent on what is required. In some cases, our team will need council permissions or permits which can take anything between 6-8 weeks. 

In your case, we are very sorry to hear you have now cancelled the installation and do hope we can make amends in the future. 

If you wish to have this investigated further, here are some useful links.

Complaints

Compensation 

Thank you, 

Nat

Hi Nat,

I completely understand that construction work is needed for any new installations.

What I don’t understand is why you can’t stick to your own time frame. Four missed appointments for building work. Every time the answer is the same “you need a hard dig”.  I had a date for it, but nobody turned up!

I don’t buy the council permission bit, because two guys did show up (a day late and unannounced) and install some cables from the exchange to the boundary of my property on 25th September. Council permission must have already been granted for that to happen.

Why can I, as the customer, not speak to anybody in a position of authority or responsibility for the installations. I was waiting for a call back from a floor manager named Iqbal after he had discussed with the area field manager, but I never heard back from him.

What angers me most is not the length of the wait, it’s the uncertainty that anything will ever happen!

The internet is littered with similar experiences so there is clearly a fundamental problem with your service.

I see VM have invoked the old "6-8 weeks for council permits" excuse. 

This could be true, but I'd bet a sizeable sum it not.  You can check.  Phone your local council (unitary or county) and ask for the highways department.  Tell them that Virgin Media are blaming them for delays of that magnitude, and ask if any permits have been requested, if so, and when they were issued. 

Contrary to urban myth, most councils are very prompt at issuing the necessary permits (called a Section 50 permit), because they're not just needed by toytown outfits like VM, but real utilities like gas, water, electricity, Openreach, and they require a permit to be turned round very quickly.  The same "blame the council" garbage is often trotted out when trying to dodge the applicable delayed installation compensation.  And incidentally you're still entitled to that compensation if you cancel the installation yourself.

kezandz
Tuning in

am in the same boat here, they came installed and nothing works but they tell me its good

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@kezandz wrote:

am in the same boat here, they came installed and nothing works but they tell me its good

You'd do best to stick to your own/original topic. Multi-posting your gone-wrong installation issue on here is only likely to confuse the situation further as you are going to get answers in multiple places and may receive conflicting information on different topics.