cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telewest box

mshahzaib
Joining in

I have recently bought a house and wanted to set up virgin Wi-Fi after calling us a sales advisor he told me that there is already a virgin wire going into the property. When you go online it says that my house is eligible for a self install kit. I cannot find the virgin box inside my house but can find a Telewest box. Does anyone know if I buy the virgin self install kit it it will work in my house or would I need to call and engineer round to sort it out. 

IMG_0334.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You would push-fit your VM cable from the 'Quick Start' kit onto that threaded connector on the bottom of the metal isolator box.

However, that connector looks as if it is caked in paint and plaster so may be a struggle to get it on without damaging the VM cable.

If your 'Quick Start' cable includes an isolator (the white plastic tube on page 2 below just under the electrical power socket/plug in the diagram)

https://my.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virgoBrowse/docs/Virgin-TV-V6-QuickStart-Guide-for-New-Custom...

you could try removing the metal isolator box from the cable and get an F-connector coupler

https://www.diy.com/departments/slx-coaxial-connector/5028422001905_BQ.prd

Screw that in to the short piece of black cable and you would then be able to push-fit the 'Quick Start' cable onto that.

Given that the existing wall boxes are old and a bit of a mess and too tight to the skirting board, you may want to call the pre-installation team on 0800 052 1734 and request a tech visit to fit a new box for you.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The LHS Telewest box may be suitable. Telewest was a predecessor to VM. The connector looks like it might be sticking out of the bottom of the box.

Hard to see in the photo but the connector looks like it is pressed tight up to the skirting board and may be covered in paint and plaster.

Can you remove the lid on the large Telewest box to see what is inside?

Hi thank you for a quick reply. I have attached a photo of what it is like inside 

IMG_0335.jpeg

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You would push-fit your VM cable from the 'Quick Start' kit onto that threaded connector on the bottom of the metal isolator box.

However, that connector looks as if it is caked in paint and plaster so may be a struggle to get it on without damaging the VM cable.

If your 'Quick Start' cable includes an isolator (the white plastic tube on page 2 below just under the electrical power socket/plug in the diagram)

https://my.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virgoBrowse/docs/Virgin-TV-V6-QuickStart-Guide-for-New-Custom...

you could try removing the metal isolator box from the cable and get an F-connector coupler

https://www.diy.com/departments/slx-coaxial-connector/5028422001905_BQ.prd

Screw that in to the short piece of black cable and you would then be able to push-fit the 'Quick Start' cable onto that.

Given that the existing wall boxes are old and a bit of a mess and too tight to the skirting board, you may want to call the pre-installation team on 0800 052 1734 and request a tech visit to fit a new box for you.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I'd agree with calling for a manned installation to fit a new clean box and remove that redundant phone box (if you have a landline phone it will now be connected to the broadband Hub). 

It's also possible that after the long time since Telewest installed the cable may have been damaged or disconnected at the street cabinet. Getting the technician in right away could save time arranging a repair visit and you will get a neater job. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

This is a more clearer photo of the cable  

IMG_0337.jpeg

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Well, your choices are

1) try to scrape off the paint and plaster from the connector and try to push fit the VM connector on. Can't tell if the connector is clear of the skirting board or over it (without room for the plug to push on). Even after scraping the connection might not be a very good one.

2) remove the metal isolator box and use the coupler to connect to (as per above) and maybe replace the box lid and have a trailing wire coming out of the bottom of the box

3) get VM to fit a new box for you

Which one(s) you choose will depend on how fast you need/want to get connected and how neat you want the finished job to look.

If you go for option 3, VM should do that free of charge if your existing box is unsuitable and replacement is part of your initial setup. The telephone support agents may try to charge you £25 for a non-fault call out if you do manage to get the existing setup working somehow but replacing an old damaged box should be free.