Menu
hackneyuser
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Telephone scam from 01506560502? Claims to be virgin media about compromised braodband connection

I have been rung twice by the number but didn't answer. But a quick search bought up this information.

VM needs to issue a statement about what is going on.

https://who-called.co.uk/Number/01506560502

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Telephone scam from 01506560502? Claims to be virgin media about compromised braodband connection

It's a scam, ignore it.

I got a call today saying I'm overdue on my payments and my service would be cut off in 24 hours if I didn't pay. Ignore that one too as VM wouldn't contact me like that.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Superstar
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Telephone scam from 01506560502? Claims to be virgin media about compromised braodband connection

Just another scam call, nothing unusual.  Just ignore

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@hackneyuser wrote:

I have been rung twice by the number but didn't answer. But a quick search bought up this information.

VM needs to issue a statement about what is going on.

If you have a look on the 'Security Matters' and 'Home Phone' forums there are posts about the 'broken router' scam almost everyday and a lot of information on how the scam runs and mitigating measures.

The scam is also explained in the Metropolitan Police booklet linked below on pages 20 and 21

https://www.met.police.uk/SysSiteAssets/media/downloads/central/advice/fraud/met/the-little-book-of-...

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Telephone scam from 01506560502? Claims to be virgin media about compromised braodband connec...

Hi Hackneyuser,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with these scam calls voiced, thank you for bringing these to our attention. I can confirm the example you've posted is indeed a scam.
I have some useful information for certain aspects of scammers which I feel will help.
If you get any scam calls from these people we ask customers to report their number to TPS which helps to combat scam calls like this. Unless you have asked for a call back please be wary of these calls - we never ask to take control of your desktop as this is something they ask for as well.
Any scam/phishing emails can be forwarded to phishing@virginmedia.co.uk and our team will be able to report them and get their email addresses blocked. 
I also have a link here for even more advice and tips to keep you safe from fraudsters.

Thanks to everyone from the community that posted with their helpful tips on this 🙂
I hope this helps!
Megan_L

0 Kudos