cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV aerial disconnected

tj12
Joining in

Hi, I am a broadband only customer and had my broadband installed this week. The engineer replaced the TV aerial cable with the virgin media wire from the ground (in the box on the front of the outside the property) connecting with the white cable wired into the house. I didn't find out until well into the evening otherwise I'd have asked him not to. Please can someone fix this? It shouldn't have happened in the first place and I don't want to be waiting for weeks without TV access.

16 REPLIES 16

Cameron121
On our wavelength

A picture would help to understand whats happening here 

Are you saying that the cable that used to bring the TV signal now brings in Virgin Media signal? Do you have a wall plate for an Ariel connection or is it just a direct wire. The VM team use white coax for internal aspects of the install, and black for exterior. Would need to see a photo.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Typical “lazy” installer. “There’s a hole already in the wall so I’ll use that”. Doesn’t bother to ask if the cable in it is still in use. Some Sky installers will also do this without asking. You would be better getting an aerial installer in & then sending the bill to VM, as VM techs are not insured to work on anything but VMs infrastructure. Aerial installers will also guarantee any work done for 12 months.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @tj12 

Welcome to the community forums

Really sorry to hear that this has happened and you have since lost TV channels. 

Are you able to provide images of the cabling you are referring to?

As mentioned, Virgin Media engineers would not be able to refit cabling that is used for means other than a Virgin Media service unfortunately. We can certainly pass the information onto the area field manager so they are aware of the issue and concern you have with your installation. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

So can we assume the following;

As the VIP, nodrogd, above has explained it, a lazy (their words) VM installation tech turned up, but rather than drill a new hole thought the wall, as that would be too much trouble for them, instead cut the customers existing TV aerial cable away and used that hole to push the VM cable through!

In doing so they’ve cut off the customers TV provision, but, presumably they got the broadband set up and chalked up a successful job and anything other than that, is ‘someone else’s problem’ - and by ’someone else', we mean the poor customer!

Now your comment, and naturally, I may have misinterpreted it, so I’d be more that happy to rescind it were you to clarify the position, is that VM won’t refit any cabling, so basically you are telling the poster here ‘tough’! Is that right?

However you will pass it on to the area field manager, which we both know, will be about as effective as passing it on to a convenient cow pat, yes?

As I said above, I think any reasonable person might well interpret your comments in the same vein and as you are a VM ‘agent’ (as the Law likes to refer to), your comments are ‘sort-of’ indicative as to the attitude of the company as a whole - of course, if I have misunderstood, then I’ll be more than happy to acknowledge this in a subsequent post, as soon as the position is made clear, and the OP’s situation has been rectified to their satisfaction!

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@VMUser1812 wrote:

Now your comment, and naturally, I may have misinterpreted it, so I’d be more that happy to rescind it were you to clarify the position, is that VM won’t refit any cabling, so basically you are telling the poster here ‘tough’! Is that right?

I am suggesting that the customer get the correct person in to do the job & then get VM to reimburse them. VM techs are not insured to work on anything that is "third party". If they injured doing something that is basically not part of their normal contracted work then not only would there be insurance issues, but also HSE implications.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I’ve got the same problem. An engineer came today and removed my tv aerial connection and replaced it with a virgin connection. Now I have no tv. The socket clearly had a tv aerial attached. I have broadband but no tv. Please resolve this. 

I’m not even going to be able to cancel my account and go back to sky (which is still working) because I still won’t have an aerial connection will I. This is terrible service  

@Carley_S wrote:

Hi @tj12 

Welcome to the community forums

Really sorry to hear that this has happened and you have since lost TV channels. 

Are you able to provide images of the cabling you are referring to?

As mentioned, Virgin Media engineers would not be able to refit cabling that is used for means other than a Virgin Media service unfortunately. We can certainly pass the information onto the area field manager so they are aware of the issue and concern you have with your installation. 

Sorry, poor response, nothing will happen by passing the information onto the area field manager and unfortunately VM won't pay compensation for causing this problem or discipline the lazy tech. What VM should do is send round a tech to fit a cable to the hub, and whilst he's there he must connect the original TV cables together so that the OP can have his TV working again.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection