Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

TP-Link AC1750 any good with Hub 3 at 500mb?

Hi all,

Loads of Router posts but just seeing if anyone has been using the TP-Link AC1750, and if so - will this ok for 500mb and be future proof for/if I get 1tb broadband in the future?

We are getting really terrible broadband in our house so would like to try a router and using the Hub 3 in modem mode.

My budget is around the £70 mark, if you have any other ones on amazon worth looking at.

This is the one from Amazon I am after LINK 

*** Since posting this, I have seen that some people have problems with this?....if so - any recommendations around the £70 mark if possible?

Thanks all

Keep safe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TP-Link AC1750 any good with Hub 3 at 500mb?

You need to establish why your broadband is bad before buying anything. Can you post some stats. Go to 192.168.0.1, do not log in, click on the link "Check Router Status".
Copy and paste the Downstream, Upstream and Network Logs. Mask any public IP address.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Roger, 

Can I post these to you? not sure what I need to mask!...but ill send ?

I have had Virgin media come out in the week and they did a check on the box outside at the end of the road and said they did an increase in the supply.

Our broadband has been bad for a long long time, ever since going to Hub 3, on my 3rd hub 3 now in last 3-4 years and to be honest its worse!!!!

Just cuts off every few hrs or days and so intermittent, having to use 4G tethering in bedrooms from mobile phones.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What drops off?

Wired? Wireless? All devices at the same time? Sporadic dropping? 
etc. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi ya,

Yeah can be streaming something on an iPad and it just cuts off and then can't even load a webpage on iPad.

With have a lot in the house on wifi, amazon echo's and lighting etc - but never been a huge problem till recently. Just poor.
Its various devices, all on wifi. Devices connected via cable - ie TV etc all seem ok, its just wifi.

The Hub 3 is a terrible device, hence why I want to try a different router?

And yeah all devices at the same time. We will set here around 3 meters away from hub 3 and wife will say - wifi is off again, and then i notice I cant even open browser or check an email. Then we have to stream back to 4g.....we have done everything from constantly resetting the hub 3....factory resets etc.....fed up of doing it around 10 times a week.

When we do a speed check there other day 5g it was 250mb and yesterday was 6gb ! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If it’s just Wi-Fi then yes get a better router or a mesh system to improve it. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

any recommendations around the £70 mark? or what do you use?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

For £70, personally no I would double it and look at an ASUS AC86U or similar. 

As for my setup;

I run the Hub4 in Router mode currently with a couple of extenders/boosters, as making home improvements and will eventually have a cupboard dedicated to housing the hub, router of some description, switches and will likely run some structured cabling around to some Ethernet points in each room and some Wired Uniquiti AP’s.

But that’s a way off completion yet 🙂