cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to Vrigin broadband

kenman1323
Just joined

I recently moved into a new home with Sky broadband installed. However I want to switch to Virgin.

The Sky router is simply connected to an Openreach socket, if I want to switch, do I just unplug the Sky router, and plug in the Virgin hub? 

I am a bit confused about whether different providers can use the same socket without carrying out any external works. Any help on switching would be greatly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unless you are in one of VERY few places where VM uses the same infrastructure, the answer is no.

99.9% of the time it will require VM to connect you to their own street ducting & cabinets. VM have their own cable "headends" that house their Broadband & TV kit. They even house their own telephone exchanges, as their "cable" infrastructure (it was originally just cable TV) was built long before Openreach & sharing of BT infrastructure became a reality.

All services come in to the property either via a copper coaxial cable similar to a TV aerial cable, or in newer areas a fibre terminates on your front wall & coax comes inside.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

1 REPLY 1

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unless you are in one of VERY few places where VM uses the same infrastructure, the answer is no.

99.9% of the time it will require VM to connect you to their own street ducting & cabinets. VM have their own cable "headends" that house their Broadband & TV kit. They even house their own telephone exchanges, as their "cable" infrastructure (it was originally just cable TV) was built long before Openreach & sharing of BT infrastructure became a reality.

All services come in to the property either via a copper coaxial cable similar to a TV aerial cable, or in newer areas a fibre terminates on your front wall & coax comes inside.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks