Menu
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Switching suppliers question

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I am just needing bit of help. 

I am currently with TalkTalk broadband (with calls.)

I ordered the M100 Virgin Broadband last night (£24.00 per month.) They will be installing it on the 23rd July. 

Do I have to cancel my TalkTalk broadband myself or will Virgin do this for me? The engineer will be coming out on the 23rd July, do I request TalkTalk cancel my account from the 23rd July - will this be the date my Virgin Broadband will go live?

Once I have cancelled my TalkTalk account, I am guessing my landline number will also be terminated (due to the Virgin Broadband package not including calls.) Will I still be able to access Virgin Broadband without a landline? Sorry if its a daft question, but I am not sure how this all works!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Switching suppliers question

are you transferring your phone number.
If you are not taking your number then you need to cancel with talktalk.

If you are transferring the phone number you leave talktalk running and the transfer of hte number will trigger the cancalation

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Happy to help if you need anything specific to your install

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No I am not transferring my landline number (I dont recall being given this option when I placed the order for my Virgin Broadband.)

Again, sorry if this is a daft question, but given the fact I have not transferred my landline number, will Virgin broadband still work?

Also, is the installation date the same as the broadband activation date?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Yes virgin broadband will still work as it doesn't use the same cabling as other suppliers, they have their own infrastructure.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Phone up Talktalk and let them know you're leaving and ask them if there's anything needed their end, but I would advise you don't set a cancellation date yet.  Wait until the VM connection is in and has been working at full contracted speed without latency or disconnection problems for a week.  With the week's overlap and your notice period at Talktalk you'll be paying both ISPs for about five weeks, but the reason for doing this is that if the VM install is pushed back (which could happen in the current situation) you've still got a working internet connection, and if there's problems with the VM performance when first connected, you have the option of not cancelling the Talktalk until they are resolved (and asking VM to credit your account for the period of any unsatisfactory service). 

Most installs go without a hitch, but for the cost of a months subscription to Talktalk you're ensuring that no matter what you won't be without a working internet connection.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

With Virgin you have 1 connection which everything goes over, broadband, TV and phone. If you had a landline it would be connected to your router. So no, you don't need a landline. 

However, I would seriously consider not cancelling your talktalk as because Virgin may do work external to your property this may be delayed. Therefore it's best to wait until Virgin it up and running before cancelling your talktalk. A months overlap is better than having no connection at all (You may even find that Virgin is worse than your current provider in some rare cases)

0 Kudos