cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from Sky broadband - do I need to manually cancel old contract?

mrburns78
Tuning in

Hi, sorry in advance if this has been answered elsewhere! I've just placed an order for Virgin gig1 broadband and we will be switching over from Sky, but when I called Sky to give notice to cancel my contract they said not to do this as Virgin will do an 'active line takeover'.

However I was wondering if this is correct as the Virgin FAQs suggest I should in fact cancel my old contract manually? Should I call them back and insist they do cancel this separately?

Thanks for any help!

4 REPLIES 4

carl_pearce
Community elder

@mrburns78 wrote:

Hi, sorry in advance if this has been answered elsewhere! I've just placed an order for Virgin gig1 broadband and we will be switching over from Sky, but when I called Sky to give notice to cancel my contract they said not to do this as Virgin will do an 'active line takeover'.

However I was wondering if this is correct as the Virgin FAQs suggest I should in fact cancel my old contract manually? Should I call them back and insist they do cancel this separately?

Thanks for any help!

VM use their own network, not a conventional phone line, so it appears Sky are talking rubbish.

I would advise causion about cancelling Sky until you are 100% sure your VM connection is:

• Active.
  • Stable.

are you transferring your land line from sky - that has  to be done correctly if you want to keep the number

regarding the BB you may want get VM up and running before you cancel Sky - a 30 day roll over is far better than no BB - the VM system uses their own infrastructure and whist the majority of installs go without a problem there are some where there can be delays of weeks or months so best to have the back up

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello mrburns78

We would contact Sky to ask for your number to be brought across

It can take 10 days from the day we install our services as we need both accounts open

So as advised already its best to make sure your Sky services are disconnected after we have set you up 

Gareth_L

If you port your landline number to VM it's essential for it to be working for this port to work. Furthermore once ported your previous broadband and landline will both immediately stop working.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection