Menu
CTC15
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Switching from BT to VM after a bereavement

I want to find out some information before calling VM and beginning this switching process.

My household is with BT and with them we have a landline, broadband, mobile, BTTV (and Netflix which is included in the BT bill).

The BT account is in the name of my step-dad who passed away in November 2020.

I will now be switching to Virgin Media, primarily because BT/Openreach still cannot supply fibre broadband to my street (therefore my connection is ~8MB!) We had previously discussed switching for this very reason, but now I have to deal with the BT account it makes sense to do this now.

I intend to get VM100 broadband + landline only (no television or mobile).

I have the following questions that I hope someone can help answer...

1. The VM website says our property is ready to go with QuickStart. There’s an old Cable & Wireless socket in our living room that’s not been in use since the 1990s. As C&W has been folded into Virgin Media, I assume this socket will work? Can VM tell if it’s active/functional, or are they just looking at 1990s records?

2. Because the existing BT account is in my step-dad’s name and the new VM account will be in my name, would there be any issues porting the landline number? (Taking into consideration that this is being done due to the death of the account holder.)

3. I will need to close the BT account via their bereavement process as the account holder is deceased. This would mean I don’t end up with hefty payments to terminate the contract. How does this requirement fit into the porting process? I understand the new provider (VM) are responsible for requesting the port and in doing so this will close the old (BT) account.

My assumptions are to order VM, install it and have the landline number ported, then call BT’s bereavement line, but I don’t know if that’s correct.

Thanks for your help.

(I wasn’t sure whether this questions belongs here or on another board - please move if necessary)

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Christy_D
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Switching from BT to VM after a bereavement

Hi there

Happy to assist you with these queries.

If there is an older style Virgin socket in the house there may not be signal on it so we would need to check when the property last had service to see whether you would benefit from an install.

In regards to the number port we should be able to action this for you as long as the BT line is still active when the Virgin services are installed.

The landline would be a Voice over IP with us as we don't use the old Phone sockets anymore so it would be plugged into the back of the Modem.

Let me pop you a message to help you with this so its all done smoothly as we wouldn't want you to lose your BT number.

Thanks

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Whatever you do - do not cancel any BT services until VM is installed and up and running to your satisfaction. Better to let the two services to run in parallel for a few weeks as an insurance policy in case there are unexpected delays on the VM install - these do happen!

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I agree with the current shortage of VM manned install it be insurance to have both BT and Virgin overlap for 1 month.

However if the OP wants BT number ported over to Virgin I am not sure if  thats possible. I recall I moving from Talktalk to Virgin. The day number was ported over by Virgin the service with Talktalk ended.

Also dont order direct from Virgin website.. they are expensive. Shop on Martin Lewis website as they do the best deal for M100 plus phone. They currently have offer for £23.95 plus £100 credit on the account..and free engineer instal normally cost a further £35.

https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/packages?location=ig3+8ux&currentProvider=None+%2F+unknown&f...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
CTC15
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice.

Can a number be ported at a later date? So get the broadband and landline installed with whatever number VM provide, then once it’s clear everything is in working order, port the number over?

0 Kudos