Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Surplus External Cables.

Hi. I am re-designing my front garden and have found the Service Cable (without protective truncking) has been forced between the paving stones.

I am laying block paving on a concrete base, and have protected the cable-run so far with homemade trunking beneath the concrete.

However, as the cable was never correctly installed in the first place and just jammed into the largest gaps between paving, there is now a load of excess cable at the External Service Box end.

This cable is also not in protective trunking!

How do I get this corrected please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Surplus External Cables.

Any tech callout that is not fault related is charged a £99 flat rate, so its up to you if you consider its worth it.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

the reply above is correct in that the cable is not faulty however VM may agree to resolve the problem as the cable was clearly not done correctly in the first place

wait for one of the staff here to get to the thread and they can make that decision

Tony
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The Service Box was never fitted correctly either. It was not fastened to the wall using all the fixing points and so it is twisted and protrudes. Furthermore, a longer screw than was necessary was used to secure the door to the box. This screw pushes the Box away from the wall and did not seal the door shut correctly. Thus resulting in SNAILS getting into the box and dying when they could not get back out. On my opening of the Box, all of the empty snail shells fell out.

I request a solution to remove the slack cable that was not laid correctly, and to re-fit the box correctly. I also wish the Service Box to be moved sideways by 450mm.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You may get it done for free IF it was a originally a Virgin installation. If it was one of VMs predecessors (some of these unprotected installs go back to 1990 from various companies that were taken over & then themselves taken over by others) they may not.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As far as I can remember, it was Telewest????? who installed it and was later taken over by Virgin.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes it was Telewest. Late 80s Early  90s.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello Soldierman

Sorry you have had to flag this to us 

As advised and by our installs process the cable should be in a protective green trunking 

I am more than happy to take a look at this for you with out charge 
I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello Soldierman

I have booked an engineer to pop round and sort this out

As this should have been done correct originally . There is no charge at all