Menu
BrokenSuperHub
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Superhub keeps loosing internet connection every day

Hi there, 

For a long time I have had a problem with my VM connection where the Internet connection is dropped intermittently for a short period (I have the original SuperHub).

This problem has been getting worse recently with more and more dropouts per day, and now it is becoming very difficult to work from home as a dropout will usually occur at some point during a Google hangout or Skype conference.

The Supehub GUI network status displays normal S/N, error and power levels (as far as I can tell from scanning forum posts here).

During a period when the connectivity is dropped I have noticed that:

1) all devices are simultaneously affected (iPhone, laptops, etc.) - they all cannot contact the outside world, so it does not appear there can be a hardware problem with any particular client device (all these devices work perfectly well all day long at work and on other networks with no connection drops).

2) WiFi connectivity to the Superhub GUI is always fine during an outage so this presumably indicates there is not a WiFi problem (so the problem can not be solved by changing frequencies, other WiFi settings etc.)

3) devices that connect via Ethernet are also affected (again, does not indicate any WiFi specific issue)

So I would suspect some fault in the Superhub itself or upstream. Can anyone help with this? This type of intermittent connection failure with the same symptoms seems to have been reported in several different threads on this site, but I'm not clear what the solutions are/were!

p.s. it's intermittent, hardware reset did not help. Can someone from virgin media team monitor my T3 logs and get an engineer if there is a problem?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub keeps loosing internet connection every day

One quick thing check all your coax connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc and that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing. Also check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

Also, set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all your network disconnections, useful data to have in discussions with VM.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
BrokenSuperHub
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Okay thanks i created a broadband quality monitor, here:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/34da5ae65df51b063bcbf997c6be62b055f14a1e

lets watch it together

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Errr... link? Its not a good "watch" - its more to be referred to daily !

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It's a live link which look good ATM.

0 Kudos
BrokenSuperHub
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

In reply to Jbrennand

wow you don't say.... You must be one of those people that would interrupt someone to say "it's actually URI" when they say URL.

In conclusion.
Anyway, yes after creating the monitor internet was stable all afternoon but i'll make sure to come here and cry and moan again once it starts to play up again, of which i am sure, it will.

0 Kudos
BrokenSuperHub
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yeah no this monitor is a piece of #### all day today i am getting "default gateway not available" and not single one red dot in the monitor. Is this problem caused by the Hub3 and if i replace it with something better will it resolve this problem or it's inherent to actual broadband line coming from outside and changing modem wont solve a thing?

Please advise.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi there, sorry for the broadband issues. 

I've had a check and can see two of your downstream channels are out of spec, but also that the router has not been rebooted for over 1 month. Can you reboot it for me? In theory it won't fix things, and I've booked a tech accordingly (which I'll PM you the details for), however please try it as it may do.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos