Menu
Robertos42
Dialled in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 vs Superhub 2

Out of the blue a virgin tech turned up in our street and said he was checking some devices that were causing system problems.  He checked my setup and after some checks said my SH2 was faulty and changed it for a SH3.  The hub is in modem mode.  Since then my son has been experiencing lag, dropouts and being thrown out of on line games.

Before the change the modem mode was 'rock solid' and around 215 mb was the average speed and no issues with dropouts.  How can I get a sh2 back to restore performance that we had in April/May.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 vs Superhub 2

you can't get an SH2 anymore. VM no longer supply them and are moving everyone onto the SH3/4
0 Kudos
daniel2004
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The WiFi Hub 3 is more powerful than the old Superhub 2.

You can only get a WiFi Hub 3 or a WiFi Hub 4 (for Gig1 customers only).

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Robertos42,

Thanks for posting, 

Sorry to hear you're having some issue with the connection since getting the modem changed.

I've checked the hub and it's all within the specifications we would expect, we're unable to run through any further diagnostics whilst it is in modem mode however.

Are you able to pop this back into router mode?

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Robertos42
Dialled in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alex

Sorry for the delay answering.  Unfortunately I cannot put this unit into router mode at the moment. I can't afford to have it not working, as I am waiting for some important documents to be sent by email.

Robert

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @Robertos42

Thanks for popping back - I can see that it's been around 5 days since the hub was last rebooted. Other than that, everything is looking pretty much spot on with your equipment and services. There are currently no known area issues and there are no errors showing at all.  All the signal levels are within the parameters we would expect for your package. 

Is it only your son who is experiencing these issues? Does it only happen on the games console/PC or are you seeing the issue on other devices also? How are those device connected - wired or WiFi? Do you find a reboot helps at all?

Does the Hub reboot when the issue happens or does the connection just drop? 

As my colleague advised, in order to do any further checks, we would need to have the HUB in router mode. Have you been able to test to see if the issue happens whilst in router mode also? 

Please do pop back when you can with any updates and we'll go from there.

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Setup a Broadband Quality Monitor.  That won't show anything for 24 hours, but when it does it will give us a feel for any latency or packet loss problems (or indeed show that you've got a good broadband connection).

You may also want to post your hub's status data (Downstream, Upstream, Network log).  I see VM are saying that it looks fine to them, but sometimes there's giveaways that anybody can miss. Post as text, not images or screenshots.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Robertos42
Dialled in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Katie

Thanks for the response. 

Sorry to mess everyone about. My son tells me today that he has not had any more dropouts, since I powered everything down, disconnected all the cables including power and made sure that they were all clean and undamaged, reconnected everything and powered on, then rebooted the modem and my router again. So possibly the fault has been with my kit, which hopefully is fixed.

My speeds are fine, around 210-220 usually and no issues with 'normal' internet activity.

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That sounds more like it Robertos42:-)

Please let us know if things change.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Likely your hub 2 was not at fault and was caused by something else that got fixed.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos