cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Hub 3 won't let me use printer

McGruff
On our wavelength

I have a new Super Hub 3 printer. It worked perfectly with my previous Super Hub 2, but the new one won't let it connect with my home network, so I can't print anything from my iPad or my PC (thought thecopy feature still works fine. The model is an HP LaserJet Pro M28w, which doesn't have a screen where I could enter the new hub's password, and when I try to use the hub's WPS to connect, it doesn't  do the job - the wireless indicator light on the printer just keeps blinking. And since the Super Hub 3 doesn't have a USB port I can't do it  that way either. And my iPad shows that there is no sign of the printer in the network.

Has anybody got any advice as to how could proceed? Preferably using my iPad as my means of  adjusting any settings in the Hub, if that's the way to do it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

McGruff
On our wavelength

Thanks, John. I should be able to do that - though I'd much prefer to just use my iPad to sort things out since I hardly use my PC these days.  I've got a cable that can link my printer to the PC. But doing it that way would that mean  my printer was properly linked to my home network so that I can switch off my computer and still print from my iPad, and so can my wife from hers?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

59 REPLIES 59

McGruff
On our wavelength

I have just realised that I lost a few words in my first sentence, which confused things rather - here is the corrected cry for help:

I have a new Super Hub 3 which will not allow my printer to work. It worked perfectly with my previous Super Hub 2, but the new one won't let it connect with my home network, so I can't print anything from my iPad or my PC (thought the copy feature still works fine)6. The model is an HP LaserJet Pro M28w, which doesn't have a screen where I could enter the new hub's password, and when I try to use the hub's WPS to connect, it doesn't  do the job - the wireless indicator light on the printer just keeps blinking. And since the Super Hub 3 doesn't have a USB port I can't do it that way either. And my iPad shows that there is no sign of the printer in the network.

Has anybody got any advice as to how could proceed? Preferably using my iPad as my means of  adjusting any settings in the Hub, if that's the way to do it.

What you’ll probably have to do is to connect the printer to your PC via USB. Download and run the driver software for that model of printer and set it up that way. There really should be an option in the software to configure the printer’s WiFi manually (personally I hate WPS, it just tends to fall flat on its face for no good reason).

John

McGruff
On our wavelength

Thanks, John. I should be able to do that - though I'd much prefer to just use my iPad to sort things out since I hardly use my PC these days.  I've got a cable that can link my printer to the PC. But doing it that way would that mean  my printer was properly linked to my home network so that I can switch off my computer and still print from my iPad, and so can my wife from hers?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes once the printer has been setup via the  PC/USB, you should be able to setup the wifi on the printer, so giving access to home devices.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jem101 wrote:

<snip>   (personally I hate WPS, it just tends to fall flat on its face for no good reason).
John

+1 , agree. I never use WPS and switch if off where possible.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

McGruff
On our wavelength

Right, I'll do that when I can get access to my PC (which isn't that easy - that's why I was hoping an iPad based solution would exist)

I thoroughly agree about WPS. It's another of these make-life-easier gimmicks that don't,, because they let you down when you need them, and the older way of doing it has been removed. (Virgin removing the USB slot from Super Hub 3 is an example.)

McGruff
On our wavelength

Not as straightforward as I'd hoped. First thing that came up when I googled for drivers for the printer was an HP page saying it didn't have any to load for that model. It seems you have to go through a procedure for setting things up, rather than just download a driver.  There's an HP video that details how.. The problem is there seem to be several different of these videos with somewhat different ways of doing it. I should be able to sort it out one way and another, but if there's anyone out there with experience of doing it who can advise, that would the great. (The PC runs on Windows 10, but I prefer to use it with the old Windows 7 interface, and the printer is an HP LaserJet Pro M28 w.)

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
You want this to set it up
https://123.hp.com/gb/en/devices/LJM28W
HP Smart app on a mobile with a google OS phone was easy

With the hub you may need to disable the 5G
---------------------------------------------------------------

McGruff
On our wavelength

I clicked on that, and it just told me to download HP Smart - which I'd already done. But I couldn't find how to use that to link the printer to the home network, or the iPad or the printer. Maybe the ap on my iPad is different from what it would be on a smartphone. And I haven't got a smartphone.