Menu
livingid
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub 3 Mac Install Issues - Manually Add external DNS Servers

I have wasted a day after my Super Hub 2 was prematurely de-activated before I had the chance to do my Super Hub 3  upgrade install. 

Eventually I got my Mac to connect by Ethernet cable and wireless  by manually adding the following DNS server ip addresses of Virgin Media DNS Servers (194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100). I am sure that the hub address as the gateway (192.168.0.1) would normally suffice. 

Does anyone know if there is better way than this - or is this normal and recommended as a long-term fix for the mac? An android tablet and window surface had no such problems

Disgruntled Dave (in need of refreshment)

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Super Hub 3 Mac Install Issues - Manually Add external DNS Servers

The Hub 3 isn't a DNS proxy so 192.168.0.1 won't work as the client DNS server address. There shouldn't be any need at all to add manual entries, just leave DHCP to sort it out. Did you still have 192.168.0.1 listed in the DNS section in the Mac's network settings? Just delete anything you manually put in there and allow DHCP to fill it in - and it will automatically put in 194.168.4.100 and 8.100.

0 Kudos
livingid
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super Hub 3 Mac Install Issues - Manually Add external DNS Servers

The mac did put 198.168.0.1 automatically in as a  DNS server. So I only got it to work after I manually added the external DNS server addresses. I have just removed all the DNS Server addresses and, like you say, it now still works. However, the fact that the Hub address was in the DNS server field could have well been a legacy by-product of my previous settings - it was the same my partner's.

Thanks for you reply. It is much more satisfactory to not have these hard-coded IP addresses in there to safeguard against problems down the line.

Cheers
Dave

0 Kudos