Menu
bobgarb
Dialled in
Message 1 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Sudden Change of Virgin WAN address

At around midnight my Broadband went off so I re booted my SH and found that I had been assigned a new address which seems to be suffering for a lot of latency, I have a SH1

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sudden Change of Virgin WAN address

Hello

From what you have described is that VM have re-segmented the network that is why you have a different WAN address, that change would have impact on the latency as you are still connected to the same box.

You have quite an old hub which you can update yourself at https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap.html?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap if you get an error message when trying to order comes back in this thread and a staff member can order one for you if entitled.

Can you please post your network stats from the hub
Open a Web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer) and enter the address http://192.168.0.1
Note: If you have enabled Modem Mode on your Hub 3.0 you will need to use 192.168.100.1 instead.
Posting the stats by copy and paste will remove all personal information so no breaches.
Do not login but click on where it says "Check Router Stats" and then copy and post from the following 4 tabs, Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network logs (if they are pasted then all personal information is * out) and we can check your power level, also while you about that can you please go around and check that all connectors to VM equipment are hand tight. Also while doing this please check for any damage to cable, or un-terminated connection without either coax or a terminator.
Also please run "Check service status" at the top right of this forum and call 0800 561 0061 to check for local issues.
Also one think you can do is too signup at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality and setup a broadband quality monitor which will keep an eye on you connection by sending a small amount of data to the hub asking if it still on.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
bobgarb
Dialled in
Message 3 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much for your reply, I have got a SH3 but have been putting it off because I've had a really good solid service for ages until recently and I heard the SH3 has had it's problems, I've been using my SH1 in modem modem, do you think I should swap out the Sh1 to the SH3 before I do anything else, I've included two graphs one before the WAN change and afterwards

brian.JPGmine.JPG

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Hello

What package are you on ?

Certainly I would swap the hub 3 as it is far better use one myself admittedly only as a modem as use my own networking kit, looking at the BQM there is certainly something going on, I would have expected to be the same if it was a re-segmentation.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
bobgarb
Dialled in
Message 5 of 35
Flag for a moderator

I'm on 100megs

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 35
Flag for a moderator

I would think you are better off even if it is only for the stability of having more channels to use.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
bobgarb
Dialled in
Message 7 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for help, I'll stick the SH 3 on first and see what happens

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 35
Flag for a moderator

@bobgarb bear in mind that the Hub 3 will need to be activated on your account, I believe there is a number to text but don't have the details off the top of my head. Once this is done, the Shub1 will be deactivated and can't be swopped back.

0 Kudos
bobgarb
Dialled in
Message 9 of 35
Flag for a moderator

I'm having problems even getting the new SH3 working, read the manual it said ring the 0800 asked detail account and area ref also mobile number did that, it then said hang up and you'll get a text reply to that and someone will get back to you! No text so now in limbo!!

0 Kudos
chrise2
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Interesting, to my eye the 2nd graph looks to show the min/average latency (green/blue) has actually improved.  But a small-ish proportion packets are subject to an extra 100ms or so latency, hence the yellow (max) spikes.  Also some periods of partial packetloss (red), which doesn't look good.  

Could be worth waiting a bit longer to see if any of this is temporary.

(ok, I see you've other plans now)

Cheers

0 Kudos